junked up fuel bowl - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
junked up fuel bowl

i gotta clean this joker - it looks like a beach - tell me i really dont have to remove it to dump all that crap out? Is there an easier way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea mine was pretty nasty also. So I decided I would clean it last week. I had to replace the fuel heater in the bowl anyways, so i thought no big deal. Well I had to build a socket to take the fuel filter Keeper up out of the bowl. Not sure of the real name on that but it is a black plasic stud. Well BECAREFULL LEFT HAND threads. Yes I found out the hard way, or at least they are left handed on a 1994.. So it is kinda time consuming. And just FYI it takes a 7/8 deep well socket to loosen the stud. Has to be approximately 5 inhes or longer to reach the nut on the bottom. So I wish you luck if you temp it. I had to build my tool. I used a 3/4 drive, 7/8 deep well and it wasn't long enough so I welded a piece of 3/4 or so pipe on the socket, then welded a nut on it so i could turn the socket.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

I tried putting a hose and connecting it to a mighty vac bleeder, and it didnt work so well, you have to remove the fuel bowl, or make a tool to take out the center fuel filter post as stated above, have also heard of people bending a cheap wrench into a crows foot to take it out too.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bloooody hell... i am going to try and take the fuel filter post out.. i really did not want to mess with taking out the bowl...but may have to anyways... thanks for the help.. i suppose i will try and fabricate a socket to fit it...
Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Infidel

Get a 7/8 crows foot, it will work like a charm! It is very important to clean that bowl out as the sand and gunk can & will eat a hole in the bottom of the bowl. You might consider replacing your fuel lines while you have it off. Ford has a set that is pre-cut. If you do decide to replace them let me know, I believe I still have the packages they came in out in my garage.

Craig
Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

holy schikeys... i need a new fuel bowl.. i have a hole in the bottom of mine that i discovered after cleaning all the dirt out. I guess the dirt was pluggin it up. anyone know where i can get one other than the dealership and how much will this cost me.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I read this and thought college football had a new bowl game. Kinda got a ring to it.

I'll go away now.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well i found out i can either try and repair the pits and hole in my fuel bowl with jb weld or just buy a new one from oregon fuel injectors(google) and they have one for a nice - not as ridiculous price as ford for $379.99. yikes... anyone have problems using jb weld.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 AM

I just replaced the one in my truck. I wound up replacing the complete assembly which turned out to a good bit cheaper than buying separate components. The assembly comes with a new bowl and EVERYTHING that hangs on or is inside of it, i.e. FPR, sensors, drain valve assembly, wiring, filter, heater (old style), and a new cap.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

I would JB weld it for now and wait to see if you can find one on ebay. I hate to admit it, but if the surface is preped correctly it is amazing how good of a 1/2 a$$ fix JB really is. If the hole is on a flat surface drill a hole into it large enough to put a nut and bolt through it silconed up. Thats a DIY fix so you dont need to spend all the money on a new bowl!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.