Weird fluid leak around bell housing/starter... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird fluid leak around bell housing/starter...

First off Im new to diesels, so any help is appreciated. I bought this truck yesterday with 189k on it, it ran well and looked well at the time. So I get it home and even with the 45mile drive home it ran fine. Today I went out to move it and I see it has a leak. And where I moved it there is a trail of fluid, seems to be diesel fuel. There is also some wetness on top of the engine, like between the heads, on top. I know some of this might be normal due to its age. But any help is appreciate on where to start looking, figuring out what is what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a typical fuel leak up in the valley. It's likely we've all delt with it on these old 'strokes. The fuel bowl is appearant right in the middle if the valley. It can leak from several points, some being rebuildable (orings. Order from bob at dieselorings.com). The old rubber fuel lines could be leaking too as could the fuel pump which is in the back of the valley under the turbo pedistal. For the price of a replacement fuel bowl and pump you can just about build yourself an electric fuel system and take all that crap out of the valley. Do a search, there's plenty of write ups. As it sits now its a matter of locating the leak (99% it's up in the valley and draining out the back of the block), and replacing, rebuilding or deleting and going e fuel.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
like chad said it's coming from up top. there is a drain hole towards the back of the motor and it runs down and drips off of the front of the trans/back of the engine. there are 3 little 2" or so hoses hat go from the fuel pump to the fuel bowl. there are numerous senors and orings in the hole bowl itself that can leak. fuel can also leak from the orings around the banjo bolt on the backside of the fuel pump. also if he fuel pump is going there is a weep hole where it will leak directly from the pump
Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM

I developed a leak just like yours today as well it is leakng from the water in fuel sensor on the top driverside of the fuel bowl. i took it out and put in a 1/8" npt plug in its place and it stopped leaking. its a temp fix till i can get the new sensor tomorrow. id check that first. its real easy to get to and see just flip up the cover on top of the valley and take a peak while its running. hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.