New guys build (suggestions and comments needed) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New guys build (suggestions and comments needed)

Let me know what you think. Need help and suggestions, comments always wanted/welcome. To start, 1996 F250 2wd Crew Cab Short Bed. I purchased April 2012, it now has 190XXX miles. Truck is in pretty good shape for a Michigan truck, minor rust on body/frame.

While changing my alt, I noticed oil build up and leaks from what seemed to be coming from every gasket and seal on this engine. Oil pan was the worst, or so it looked. Being laid off for the season, I seem to have enough time for a project, so lets pull the engine. Welp, while the engine is out, lets do everything that I had in mind when purchasing the truck. I would like to hit 300+HP, more is better. It will be a DD but have intentions on another vehichle. Blah Blah Blah, engines coming out, things being done.

ENGINE PLANS:
Turbo Rebuild (ordered)
Gen 2 Wicked Wheel (Ordered)
Non-ebv Pedestal (ordered)
ARP head studs (ordered)
Hypertech tuner (purchased locally)
Many Gaskets and Seals

NEED Suggestions on:
Head work
DIY E-Fuel, Opinions/Suggestions (something close to this Electric Fuel Conversion - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum OR the one posted on this forum )
HPOP, leaning towards SD setup, opinions/suggestions
Injectors, Based on whats said, what are some suggestions (what can I do to improve my stock ones?)

Suspension needs work. Lift/level is still being tossed around on what exactly I want to do. Body/Bed mounts need repair. Lets clean up the frame at the most convenient time.

This thread will become more rich with pictures!!!

Starting with the engine, I begin to take off easily accessible, in the way components. Turbo is next to come off, but oh no, that will prove the be a large waste of time. Spent a good amount of time trying to get the previously rounded bottom/driver bolt of from the y-flange. After many failed attempts with heat and swivel socket, combo wrech, crow foot and many other tools that broke or made worse, time to cut. Limited access proved to make the cutting a failure. Long story short, engine has to come out with the turbo.

Most is off to start to lift engine out, while leaving the trans in place. This proved to be a tight fit with the turbo on, but was possible with two people.

Engine on stand, getting ready to perform cylinder leak down test, some components need to be removed to get the fitting into the glow plug hole. As you can see, engine is very nasty. I sprayed it down but quickly as it was below freezing. Extensive cleaning is planned, for now I only wiped the areas around the valve covers.

Well the damn harbor freight leak detector malfunctioned. So that is put on the back burner for tomorrow. I just wanted to confirm the rings were alright as the heads will be rebuilt and head gaskets replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

On hold, good time to work on that turbo nut. Was able to cut off with sawzall. Cleaned engine a bit more thoroughly and pulled the exhaust manifold and up pipes off for paint.

Wheeled the manifolds, this is the first coat of VHT ceramic heat paint.

Some rot on the core support, this will be dealt with. Honestly this is the worst part of the truck.

Quick start to my thread, Will continue to get more pictures. I really need some exterior and undercarriage pictures. Needs to warm up and stop raining/snowing.

Hypertech tuner

Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

looks like this will be a nice thread
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wanted to make some progress this weekend but felt too sick to do anything. Woke up with some nasty chest pain, went to hospital, thankfully nothing serious. Good news is some parts came in!!

Turbo Rebuild, Non-EBV pedestal and WW2

Pedestal will be polished up nicely
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looking good!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500TD View Post
Let me know what you think. Need help and suggestions, comments always wanted/welcome. To start, 1996 F250 2wd Crew Cab Short Bed. I purchased April 2012, it now has 190XXX miles. Truck is in pretty good shape for a Michigan truck, minor rust on body/frame.

While changing my alt, I noticed oil build up and leaks from what seemed to be coming from every gasket and seal on this engine. Oil pan was the worst, or so it looked. Being laid off for the season, I seem to have enough time for a project, so lets pull the engine. Welp, while the engine is out, lets do everything that I had in mind when purchasing the truck. I would like to hit 300+HP, more is better. It will be a DD but have intentions on another vehichle. Blah Blah Blah, engines coming out, things being done.

ENGINE PLANS:
Turbo Rebuild (ordered)
Gen 2 Wicked Wheel (Ordered)
Non-ebv Pedestal (ordered)
ARP head studs (ordered)
Hypertech tuner (purchased locally)
Many Gaskets and Seals

NEED Suggestions on:
Head work
DIY E-Fuel, Opinions/Suggestions (something close to this Electric Fuel Conversion - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum OR the one posted on this forum )
HPOP, leaning towards SD setup, opinions/suggestions
Injectors, Based on whats said, what are some suggestions (what can I do to improve my stock ones?)

Suspension needs work. Lift/level is still being tossed around on what exactly I want to do. Body/Bed mounts need repair. Lets clean up the frame at the most convenient time.

This thread will become more rich with pictures!!!

Starting with the engine, I begin to take off easily accessible, in the way components. Turbo is next to come off, but oh no, that will prove the be a large waste of time. Spent a good amount of time trying to get the previously rounded bottom/driver bolt of from the y-flange. After many failed attempts with heat and swivel socket, combo wrech, crow foot and many other tools that broke or made worse, time to cut. Limited access proved to make the cutting a failure. Long story short, engine has to come out with the turbo.

Most is off to start to lift engine out, while leaving the trans in place. This proved to be a tight fit with the turbo on, but was possible with two people.

Engine on stand, getting ready to perform cylinder leak down test, some components need to be removed to get the fitting into the glow plug hole. As you can see, engine is very nasty. I sprayed it down but quickly as it was below freezing. Extensive cleaning is planned, for now I only wiped the areas around the valve covers.

Well the damn harbor freight leak detector malfunctioned. So that is put on the back burner for tomorrow. I just wanted to confirm the rings were alright as the heads will be rebuilt and head gaskets replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500TD View Post
On hold, good time to work on that turbo nut. Was able to cut off with sawzall. Cleaned engine a bit more thoroughly and pulled the exhaust manifold and up pipes off for paint.

Wheeled the manifolds, this is the first coat of VHT ceramic heat paint.

Some rot on the core support, this will be dealt with. Honestly this is the worst part of the truck.

Quick start to my thread, Will continue to get more pictures. I really need some exterior and undercarriage pictures. Needs to warm up and stop raining/snowing.

Hypertech tuner

First off get rid of that Hypertech... They are junk, and are basically cookie cutter tunes that waste alot of fuel while adding little power. IF you are adding the WW2 and sticks that unit will not cut it. The recipe below will net you well over 300hp and still have a solid DD truck the will have lots of skinny pedal left for fun...

Efuel (that write up from PSN is solid)
T500 Hpop
RWD Stage 2's (cost the same as 1's and can be detuned, Jim's is the only injector i would buy)
WW2
140v IDM
TW Tunes (i prefer tonys tunes, there are others, tony does free reburns for life)
Exhaust (full turbo back system with new DP, at least 4")
Intake (i like the 6637 DIY version)
IC (7.3 or 6.0 ic will work with customization of 7.3 pipes, there are also bolt on kits that require zero modification, but they are pricey)
Upgrade Trans (at least a VB for better shift points and better lockup, idealy pared with a good TC, at least a twin disc)

There are probably other minor things i am missing, others can add to my list i am sure, but that is the bulk of it.

Oh yeah
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh damn, I was told it could be retuned. Oh well

I have 5 inch turbo back with 3 inch DP

Was planning on rosewood doing my injectors.

Also considering an IC setup.

As far as HPOP goes, would I be alright with the 17* SD pump?

Thanks, thats the kind of input I was looking for!
Intake is already similar to the DIY.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

No reburns on a Hypertech to my knowledge. Plus with the mods you are doing you need custom tunes designed around your truck.

IC or water/meth is a must with larger injectors if you plan on doing alot of towing. I town a 5ton excavator on a regular basis with my truck and i see egts in the negiborhood of 1100 or so. I watch the egt guage constantly to make sure i dont smoke the turbo. If you dont tow heavy then you might get away without one.

If you plan on 2's i would go with an upgraded HPOP. If you are planning on detuned 2's then the SD pump will work fine for you, and can always be upgraded in the future.

On the DIY intake just make sure your not running any type of oiled filter, they can restrict air to the turbo and cause damage.

Good luck with the build!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you, as long as I can get close to what I paid for the hypertech then I won't be too upset.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Looks like you got a pretty solid set up already there, like strokes said go with custom tunes, and I like my tw tunes just fine, I also have a ccsb, and a good stock sd hpop will cut it but you may as well upgrade while your in it, go big or go home lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.