Reliability with mild mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reliability with mild mods?

Hey guys, I've been cruising around the internet bored and I guess I got curious. My truck has 205,000 miles, basically ZERO oil loss and no blow-by. I've got stage 2's and eventually plan on getting all supporting mods to make 400hp.

I chose 400hp as a goal because I wan't a truck that will still be "reliable". Tonight I got thinking about what everyone defines as reliable, I looked around and I realized that people use the word reliable more directed towards the meaning of not breaking down, the truck won't leave you stranded on the side of the road.

I'm more curious about longevity, These motors stock seem mileage of 300,000 all the time, I see them scattered throughout craigslists (running good, high miles). They obviously last a long time when taken care of. My question is, now that my truck has some injectors and is actually making some decent power, what kind of mileage before blow-by, oil consumption and other issues come into play?

My truck lasted 200,000 miles before any mods, and it seems to be no different then a brand new truck, I guess i'm afraid that now that I have mods I will start burning oil within the next few oil changes, and everything will go downhill due to the added stress. I understand mods will shorten the life of an engine, that is common sense, but I don't really know by HOW much.

If you modded a BRAND NEW truck, 400hp. Drive the truck normally, keep EGT's in check, change the oil every 3-5k, change fuel filters ect. Run it hard at times, but dont beat on it mindlessly. How long do you think it would last? would it have hardly any effect on life? or would the bearings get pounded out of it due to the added pressures put on them.

Could you easily see 300k still, or are we talking more like a 100,000 mile motor at that point? I love my truck, with the new power its a blast to drive, I guess I'm just afraid that I have shorted its life by more then I wanted to. I think this is on my mind lately because, over the last few days it has been snowy, I like to run it on stock tune to help keep me on the road. The stock power of this truck feels so weak now, I can't ever imagine the engine wearing out, or anything breaking. If that makes any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

thats a impossible question to answer , every truck is different , no matter what the maintenance schedule is or how its driven or taken care of

the thing to always remember is that anytime you add more power than the truck was actually designed for that there is a chance of premature wear and tear or part failure
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM

yeah I understand that. I guess I'm having a hard time asking or getting opinions on what I'm thinking.

I've been into the powerstroke scene a very short time. What do people see for mileage after mods? Mods around the same as mine.

thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
yeah I understand that. I guess I'm having a hard time asking or getting opinions on what I'm thinking.

I've been into the powerstroke scene a very short time. What do people see for mileage after mods? Mods around the same as mine.

thanks
like i said before , there is no standard set on how many miles you can get with mods , ive got a 99 7.3 truck with 473,000 miles on it , it was a company truck up to 350,000 miles , ive put the rest on it , exhaust ,chip, blocked off waste gate , cold air intake and wicked wheel (for surge ), the truck has been run on the highest mode in the chip for the entire time ive had it , i have driven it all over this country with 15,000 lbs behind it , one of the latest trip from north carolina to yellowstone park, all into wyoming and across the big horn mountains twice during that trip and up through montana across north dakota and back down to nc , was 6200 miles round trip ,and i run the absolute piss out of it , but it doesnt have bigger injectors and turbo , so i guess you say its slightly modded , if that helps any at all

im sure there are guys that have more modified trucks that have gotten good mileage out of them and some that arent modified at all that didnt make it to 100,000 without issues , there is no one truck the same , it comes down to the owner of the vehicle and how bad it would bother you to have to go back in for internal failure of the engine
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

one thing i will say , a 400 horse engine can be a daily driver , and can be made reliable (depending on what a person considers reliable ), after that its a crap shoot
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM

I consider reliable, not going to random come unglued, be able to drive the truck day in and day out, mile after mile. Work it like it was designed to be worked

That being said, I have no idea how much power my truck makes (stage 2's, efuel, custom tuning) but on the stage 2 tuning it has some pretty good power. If you could keep EGT's in check, you would be WAY, WAY over rating to need to use that power to pull a load.

I towed with mine stock, and it was a little doggy @ ~160whp, but anything north of 300whp I think is plenty for towing.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
I consider reliable, not going to random come unglued, be able to drive the truck day in and day out, mile after mile. Work it like it was designed to be worked

That being said, I have no idea how much power my truck makes (stage 2's, efuel, custom tuning) but on the stage 2 tuning it has some pretty good power. If you could keep EGT's in check, you would be WAY, WAY over rating to need to use that power to pull a load.

I towed with mine stock, and it was a little doggy @ ~160whp, but anything north of 300whp I think is plenty for towing.
this is my opinion only , but ive drove many 7.3 trucks in the 350 horse range , and like i say in my opinion , that is a good number to tow with , have some good power and have some reliability
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am not an expert by any means, i have owned 3 PSD truck prior to owning my black truck, and i just bought a completely stock 95 cclb dually. My black truck in my sig has 298k on it, my dually has 240k. i wouldn't hesitate to get in either one of them and drive them anywhere.

You can build a solid DD 400hp truck, here is my recipe...

Rosewood Stage 2's
TW Tunes
Exhaust
Intake
guages
efuel
IC
HPOP
D66
Built trans or update clutch on a manual

That combo should easily put you in the 400hp range, but only a dyno will confirm. You will have a solid reliable DD.

A note on the milage, Elmo has 460k on his truck and is still modding it...
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I believe the mods I have done have made the truck more reliable. Basically you cant neglect anything on them, and surely cant abuse them.

I use my truck everyday and it takes us on every trip we take in the summer, some as far as 1300 miles. Maintain it properly and use good parts when servicing
Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Stroked, that is what I plan on doing. I might throw some pushrods and valve springs in, but Im not sure if that is needed.

I love my truck, and this summer plan on putting some money into it to keep it on the road for many years to come. It doesn't really need much, but I would like to make it have a clean look, with some better paint ect.

that 460k miles is nuts. I hope I make it there :p, I have all the intentions to do so, but thats a lot of money in fuel haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.