Possible CPS Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation Possible CPS Problems

Today, my 94 PSD has been having intermittent stalling issues. It stalled once turning into a parking lot, but it caught and idled backup before stalling completely. When this happened, the truck was running normally, but the wait to start light was on. A few hours later, I was driving about 30 mph when it stalled, in gear. The tach was still showing RPMs. After stopping on the side, the motor very reluctantly restarted, after a longer than normal cranking time. When it was running, the CEL remained on. About a half mile later, the CEL was still on, and as I shifted to 4th and began to accelerate at around 1000 RPMS, it stalled again. I stopped, and rolled it backward into a parking lot. I turned off the ignition, and restarted it. The wait to start light would flicker off, and the CEL would come off, then the WTS light came back on. This repeated about 3 times, but the engine started readily when I cranked it with a big puff of white smoke. I drove an additional mile or so with no problems. Does this indicate a CPS failure? I never noted an issue with the tach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i think almost anything on these trucks can be a CPS failure, i was always under the impression that if the thing acts up in any way, change it out with one you know is good and see if that fixes the problem. so if you have a spare, throw it on
Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 AM

I have one, might as well swap it.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yeah throw that on and see what happens, itll take ya 10 minutes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Got it swapped. It fired right up, and died after it had run about 30 seconds.I checked the fuel bowl and the HPOP reservoir, both were full. I pulled the ICP sensor plug. Started up just fine, and ran about 3 minutes before it stalled. I was still noting the flickering WTS and CEL, so I picked up relays to replace the PCM and IDM relays. It started up normally, and has been running about ten minutes so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.