Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust components

800 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  IU 89 
#1 ·
Yes - Newbie to PSD asking questions. I have a 97 PSD CC / LB and I have been discussing some mods. These would include a new exhaust as I assumed mine was still stock. However as I have not had the truck too long I went under it today to check out what is really there and its condition. It all looks good and solid but I didn't expect to see a component in addition to the muffler along the track of exhaust system. So what is this item? I have attached some pics of the muffler and then this extra piece which displays my ignorance for all to see. I have included a pic of the engraving / serial detail on it as well. And then the DP from aft of the turbo. I didn't get the orientations exactly correct.

As always, your expertise is appreciated. Thank you as I learn my new truck.

Chris:doh:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Great to Know

Thank you - I do not need. Believe it or not the '97 is the last year that is Smog Exempt in CA.

So if wanted to "straight pipe" it I could and then it is a question of Diamond or another brand from what I am reading.

This is going to be great!

C:thumb:

#3 ·
it dose have an aftermarket downpipe but to me the rest looks stock. The mystery item is your catalytic converter.

side note: stock exhaust is 3.5 inch diameter so if it is bigger then its aftermarket:thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
Question is....

Is there any reason to keep it? Also when I was looking at some exhaust options from links provided in the forum a choice was Turbo Back or Cat Back?

I assumed Turbo and down-selected to a no muffler option. My neighbors are going to love it.

Assume stock as well as it at measured in at 3.44xxxinches with a 3" (3.02xx") DP

Thank you,
C

ps - installing 6637 kit Tuesday and then am working toward a TS 6 chip - Custom as I do have an IC installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.