Weird Starter problem. NEED SOME HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird Starter problem. NEED SOME HELP

Hello All, Greetings from Albuquerque,NM I am having a problem with my RCLB F250 4wd 5 speed powerstroke. Since we first bought it my uncle right away put a starter in the truck. Every time I would go and visit him I would go start the truck and let it run for awhile. We ended bringing it home to Albuquerque. Before we left my uncles house it started up kind of funky but nothing to serious. When i say funky i mean like kinda slow. That night of the day we brought it home, I was going to go start it for a friend of mine. I went to turn it over and all the starter did was spin. Didn't crank the engine over just spun. So I went and bought a starter from oriellys. Swapped it out and it fired right up with the new starter. We went to go run some errands today and now it won't start. It somewhat spins like before but it sounds like it somewhat is engaging to the fly wheel. But its still just spinning. We bump started it down a hill and made it home. The truck runs perfect besides the starter issue. Any ideas?? Sorry for such a long explanation. I want to be as clear as possible. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did u look at the flywheel when u changed the starter. U might have a spot missing somd teeth on ur flywheel
Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Re: Weird Starter problem. NEED SOME HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones96 View Post
Did u look at the flywheel when u changed the starter. U might have a spot missing somd teeth on ur flywheel
I did check it when I pulled the starter that my uncle had put in. The teeth were fine. I'm going to pull the one I installed in a little while.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:17 PM

I'm wondering if, for some reason the starter is staying engaged to the flywheel? Or would it make a loud clanking noise? Maybe thats why there getting burned up?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 PM

You really have to look at the _whole_ ring gear, not just the part you see in the hole when you pull the starter. Drop the inspection plate and look at as much as you can. Turn the engine by hand if you have to, keep looking for a bad spot on the ring gear.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM

If everything checks out get another new starter. I went through 4 for my bug to find one that didn't grind and 3 for one of my rx7s to get one that worked all the time.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks for all the tips you guys!!! I'm pretty sure we got the problem solved. It seems as if Oriellys gave us 2 wrong starters. They apparently weren't the right ones. They corrected the mistake and gave us one that was slightly different but looked much similar to the ones I have seen posted online. I installed it 30 mins ago and she fired right up! Seemed to fire alittle faster to lol! We will run this one and see how it works! I will post if something happens. It seems to work pretty good! Thanks!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Oh by the way the starter that is on the truck now is Ultima 35154
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.