HELP! exhaust still leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! exhaust still leaking

My new diamond eye 4" straight pipe is still leaking. I put it in last weekend and knew about the leaks, I figured I would drive it for a week or so, come back and make some adjustments and re-tighten everything. I just made the adjustments and installed my new v-clamp on the turbo as I over tightened the last one, but i still have leaks at almost every joint including the turbo/downpipe. I know some will probably tell me to have it welded, but is there anything I might be missing before I get to that point? I am going to be traveling home in about a week and a half (500 mile drive), will it be ok to drive with these leaks? How important are they to get fixed? I have heard about getting carbon monoxide poisoning from exhaust seeping into the cab, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also, when im driving and hit the brakes, the engine gets louder within the cab, I feel like that might have to do with the leak at the turbo, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I don't know how bad the leak around the turbo is, I have felt air flowing around it but not sure if it's all coming from the turbo or elsewhere

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by mathewsz7; 02-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM

If you are not happy with the seal you get after tightening down the U clamps you could always try a stepped band clamp. The only times I've had similar is when the U clamp was the wrong size or I didn't torque it down enough.
Almost sounds like your down pipe is hitting the cab. Mine did similar when applying peddle in reverse, until I readjusted it. Leak at the turbo /dp connection may be related to bad fit due to dp hitting cab.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I thought it had enough space, but I can check again. Also, what about driving with it like this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Youre probably feeling air off the cooling fan but if you want to test if your DP is leaking at the turbo exhaust flange, fill a spray bottle w soapy water and hit it at the joint. I'd probably do this when its cold to prevent evaporation. The soap will bubble up at the point of the leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.