Coolant Leak / Oil Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Leak / Oil Cooler

After finally getting the fuel leak problem solved it looks like I now have coolant starting to leak out of the oil cooler.My truck has auto trans & is 2 wheel drive & I was wanting to know if the oil cooler can be removed & replaced without having to remove any other parts ? I have priced the parts at the local dealer & they are about 70.00 for the gaskets & O rings for the caps.They did mention something about having to have the caps pressed off & back on to get the new O rings installed.I havent done this before & was wondering how difficult a job this actually is ?
Thanks-DT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Infidel

I did mine last year. I didn't have caps pressed on and have had no issues with it sense doing the job. Check with International for the parts, they will probably be cheaper.
Take the driver side wheel off and the inner fender wheel off. I don't remember what size the bolts are, but I do know that no special tools were required.

Time wise it took me a few hours to do it. I went slow and took my time. When the cooler was off I cleaned it up. There was some debris in the tubes inside the cooler. Like gasket material.

Anyways, don't hesitate to ask if you need help. I'll do what I can.

Craig
Old 12-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

to whoeverit was that said toleave teh front header on if its not leaking and jsut remove the rear header and pull the oil cooler tube out then replace with the filter housing header attached to the cooler tube by fitting up and using a piece of2x4 to press the tube into the front header SPOT ON!!! that worked perfectly went in like butter unfortunately for me i have a cracked filter housinf so I need to replace that. someone somewher posted thsi link to parts. Powerstrokeshop.com good price. also the bolts that hold the header on are 10mm
Old 12-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question Oil Cooler/end cap removal

I have drained all fluids (oil/coolant),& have the cooler removed now.Im glad I went ahead & am doing this now by the looks of the old gaskets it wouldnt have been long before I would have had coolant in the oil.Now that Ive got it off I want to go ahead & replace the "O" rings in the end caps also.Mine came off & the end caps are not leaking & are on very tight & could anybody shed any light on how you removed the end caps from the tube ?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Infidel

I believe I had to tap them off with a hammer and a block of wood. Just take your time and keep your patience. I added a picture of a diagram someone sent me when I did it. hope this helps.
Craig
Old 12-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil Cooler

Just an update on my oil cooler overhaul.Lets see before starting this job I of located all the needed parts with info gathered off this site.I actually ended up getting my parts from the local Ford dealer & paying 60.00 for them (they had wanted 70.00 when I had first priced them there.I did however get a price of 35.00 from the International dealer but being they are 30 miles from me & I was leaking coolant I went ahead & got them from the Ford dealer.Also picked up the coolant/coolant additive & oil from wal-mart & the oil filter from Orileys.Got home and layed down some protection on the driveway in case of any spillages.Drained all coolant from radaitor & even removed the block heater(alot of coolant from here also) & then drained the oil including removing the oil filter.I then removed the front tire to gain access to the front header bolts through the fender well & with a long extension I removed the front 2 bolts & then got under the truck & removed the back 3 bolts.I can say that if you take your time when draining all the fluids with some well placed buckets this was not near as messy as I had expected it to be.I managed to twist & wiggle the oil cooler out towards the back of the truck past the fuel lines & exhaust manifold (took a little paitence but it will come out that way).Once out I let it drain for awhile then cleaned it up a bit before taking it apart.To get it apart I used a block of wood & a hammar(as another member here suggested)& with a few taps the end caps were now off.Removed the old "O" rings & made sure all parts got a good cleaning.Installed the new well lubed "O" rings.Then with the help of a buddy we replaced the end caps (2nd person really helps with this)by hand & a tap of the wood block & hammar.Cleaned all again & sprayed the tube with a coat of paint & reinstalled cooler & refilled oil & coolant & started truck & so far I se no signs of any leaks.This job was made possible for me by the information & advise by other members of this site & I would like to say THANK YOU for all the great information & responces by members to my questions.This was a job I would have never attempted in the past & would had jst taken it to the dealer to have done (ouch !!!).So again Thanks to all & have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ya git er done? parts are cheaper here Powerstrokeshop.com I just tapped mine off with a hammer. Squeezed em back on with a bar clamp ( rear) and then like I said below I slide the rear header and tube assy over the motor mount into the ( not removed ) front header, I lined it up nice and square then used a short piece ( 2ft?) of 2x4 to press it in by prying on teh oil filter housing It went right in no problem and all teh bolt holes lined up perfect on teh rear header ( oil filter housing) Oh yeah I cleaned everything real good and used LOTS of vaseline on teh O rings prior to assembly
Old 11-28-2008, 07:07 AM

oil cooler removal

Great thread. I have the fluids drained and the cooler is unbolted. I cant seem to get the cooler out . I am wondering if my motor mount has to be unbolted or is is bad. Should there be enough room to slide out. . I am gonna disconnect the two fuel lines there but dont see that working. dt449 said he wiggled it out. I dont see that happening in my case. Thats why I am wondering if I have a bad mount. Any sugjestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it should come out without removing the motor mount. I didn't have the front cap on the tube ( left it on the truck as it wasn't leaking there and I did mine in 10 degree weather.) so quick recap: I unbolted oil filter housing end and jiggled cooler til it came loose in the front and slid it out towards the back. Check the rest of the thread for putting it back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.