LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad fuel mileage

Gentlemen/Ladies,
First time for me on a forum, just bought my first diesel truck and I got a lot of Q's. bought a 97 f350 four door 8' box 7.3 powerstroke 145,000k. Did the math on my first tank of fuel and I averaged 10 mpg city (completely stock truck, easy on the pedal). Looking for a good place to start looking to improve the mpg. Any ideas, suggestions, anything would be appreciated. Trying to keep this short so please ask if u have Q's. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

auto or manual? you didn't add much infor but the first thing I would do (if you haven't already) is replace fuel filter, run an additive (diesel kleen), Check tire pressure, Replace stock air filter with NAPA 6637 filter.... Then you get into more costly things like custom tunes, and exhaust. But if the truck is new to you then I would just give it a good look over and see what a few tanks does.. If you do a few of those things and still get 10 MPG thats lower than normal. (assuming your not running 40's). If you still get 10 after doing first few inexpensive things then I would look into things like a faulty EBPV. Welcome to the org and ask any ?'s you have.

2000 ford f-250 leveled off, crew cab, headlight upgrade, gauges; pyro, boost, tranny. 6637 intake. 06 lariat dash/seats/interior. DP tuned. A dash of this, a dash of that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With this crappy weather here haven't been able to really give it a good look over, doesn't fit in my garage. Auto tranny stock tire size FYI. Those are some good first things to start with I'll give them a shot. Thank you
post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkDog View Post
With this crappy weather here haven't been able to really give it a good look over, doesn't fit in my garage. Auto tranny stock tire size FYI. Those are some good first things to start with I'll give them a shot. Thank you
i will say this though.. 10MPGs entirely city isn't that bad

2007 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke

mods:
Banks Ram air
Sinister Coolant Filter
Swamps 48V FICM with PHP Atlas 40
B&W turnover ball hitch
EGR Delete
Diesel Site Intercooler Boots
SCT livewire TS 5015 w/IDP custom tunes
Agressive street, Tow W/jake brake, Economy

Other rides:
2010 Ford Explorer 4.6 24V V8
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra 4.6 32V V8
Mods:
JLT True CAI
Smoked Heads/tails

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the valley underneath the fuel bowl see if you have a fuel leak that was my major issue went from 11mpgs to 14mpg there was a few rubber lines that had seen better days

Ben
1995 Ford F-350 Centurion package
3" Diamond Eye down pipe
4" back to 7" stack
PHP tuned 6 position chip
140V IDM Mod
Custom paint obsidian black/medium copper
Custom tow mirrors

post #6 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome to the org, best fuel mods are, intake, down pipe, and exhaust, keep in mind were still using winter fuel tho and that costs me roughly 4mpg's, but check for fuel leaks, and custom tunes would also increase economy too, deleting the cat and muffler is worth 2-3 mpg's

-Kris-
2000 excursion V10 2wd 230k
2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 246k
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I'm sure I'll have plenty more ?'s along the way. Hopefully I can be of some help to someone sometime. What major auto part store has everyone found to be the best, Napa, AutoZone, advanced, carquest, etc.????
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The ford dealership, and napa

-Kris-
2000 excursion V10 2wd 230k
2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 246k
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Welcome to the ORG.!!!IF your going to put an exhaust on your truck i put a diamond eye 4" on mine that i just bought!!!Got mine at RiffRaff Diesel..

95 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab

Mods. so far
DIY Intake
4" diamond Eye exhaust
New Toyo AT 2's
VHF/UHF Radio
Pillar gauge pod and all Isspro gauges
E-Fuel done and running!!!!

Wicked Wheel 2!! Good Mod.!!

Intercooler is in and helps alot!!!!!

100 Gallon transfer tank...

Stage 1's and a Hydra chip with tony's tunes on it!!!

Next on the list...ZF-5 swap...
post #10 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just bought a 4" diamond eye exhaust too, have to see how easy installing it goes. But make sure all the maintenance is up to date too. Oil does a lot for these trucks. So does a fuel filter change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode