Replacing all fluids. What should I get? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing all fluids. What should I get?

This is my first oil change since I got the truck so I figured I would go ahead and change every other fluid on it, so I know when everything has been done. For oil I have heard that Walmart sells motorcraft oil and that is the best to buy. What about transmission, differential, and 4wd? What about additives to these fluids?

Also, finally ordered my diamond eye 4" straight pipe. $296 shipped from summit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Rotella t6 I heard once was good, I run motorcraft Kause ford sells it and they do my oil changes, trans fluid I get ATF shell I think is what I used last time to add a bit, powersteering I used ATF that I put in the trans, and brake fluid I used napa brand dot 4 good luck I'm sure someone will chime in with great stuff and better reviews, I recommend full synthetic oil, but local dealer does 3 oil changes for $163, it cost me twice that to do 2 of them in my driveway
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Valvoline premium blue 5w40 synthetic
Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say best oil has to be Schaeffers 5-40 full synthetic, but its pricey. Never ran Ford oil, but i've ran regular Rotella, it ran like crap. T6 was slightly better. Non-syn Valvoline ran better than T6, and synthetic Valvoline ran the best. Currently running non-syn valvo, with a case of it waiting to go in the truck. Bought it at TSC for $12 a gallon, i believe its on sale till the end of the month.

For the rear diff you need 75w-140 i believe, and it has to be full synthetic. If your truck has a LSD, you will need friction modifier. But most new gear oils have it already, so you just gotta read the bottle and see what it says. Transmission, t-case, and power-steering pump all take regular ATF.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM

I use Amsiol in everything! !! U can run oil 12, 000 miles but change filter every 4, 000 miles !! It actually works out to be even cheaper than the cheapest conventional oil !! Plus alot less waste when having to dispose of used oil ! Plus mine starts alot easier with synthetic! !
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonreinig View Post
I use Amsiol in everything! !! U can run oil 12, 000 miles but change filter every 4, 000 miles !! It actually works out to be even cheaper than the cheapest conventional oil !! Plus alot less waste when having to dispose of used oil ! Plus mine starts alot easier with synthetic! !
Its also extremely expensive...

Just curious, how do the UOA's look after 12k miles of life in a HEUI engine getting pressurized up to 3k psi daily? Or if your not running it hard, 2k psi?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the info, about how much is the fluid for differential/4wd, and power steering? should I do both differentials, or just rear? (I typically only hear of people servicing the rear)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my local parts shop recommended pennzoil synthetic, he said its the best bang for your buck. The guy said its rated for 25k miles, which sounds hard to believe. They also quoted me $316 for oil, oil filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid and filter, and 4wd and differential fluid...good deal?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i have run rotella t6 the last 50k miles. its cheap and actually a pretty good oil. seems to be the most commonly used.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM

I worked in a tractor trailer lube place about 5 years ago. Rottella T was the big seller then Dello. One noticeable thing was, many drivers with a gazillion miles on their trucks had us add Motorcoat to the motor and diffs. Had a few high milers using Marvel Mystery oil and swore by it, usually old timers been trucking forever. Then we would get the occasional Lucus user. I prefer Rottella T and a motorcraft filter myself over all the others. I would run Motor coat as an additive but can only afford Marvel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.