Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Rebuild???

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dr.deere 
#1 ·
When is it time to rebuild a turbo? My 2000 f350 ccd has about 176,000 mi, and doesn't have the power I think it should. I have a 4" exhaust with free flowing muffler, diy intake, and a Superchips programmer. I have noticed the inter-cooler pipes are oily both by the inter-cooler and the turbo, so I am thinking my seals are leaking? is this possible that by rebuilding the turbo and buying a new compressor wheel that this could restore the power it should have? I used to have an early 99 psd and it had noticeably more power than this truck, and had 300,000 mi but also had a new turbo. Thanks in advance for the advice

#2 ·
it depends on how the intake is set up did you reroute the ccv when it was put on if not oil around intercooler boots is normal as long as its not blowing huge amounts of oil out. there are several other things that should be checked for low power first such as air coming in. is the air cleaner clean fuel supply clean filter enough fuel how is the fuel pressure. take the intake off of the turbo and inspect turbo how much play is in the shaft should not be able to touch housing with compressor wheel how does the wheel look should not be shiney chipped dinged up.

#3 ·
I didnt change anything ccv, I just replaced the stock filter/box with a donaldson and some pvc to connect the two. Air filter is good, new 5,000 mi ago, fuel filter is good, new 100 mi ago. I have never checked fuel pressure. What should it be? What other symptoms would be related to low fuel pressure? I am also getting terrible fuel mileage (9.5-10.5). Granted its a big truck, but I still think it should be much better than that. I have not checked the shaft play either.

#4 ·
It should be about 65psi. Also check to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks before the turbo that will cause a loss of drive pressure and a lack of boost which will give low power

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.