1996 CPS -> NOT IN RECALL? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 CPS -> NOT IN RECALL?

My 1996 F350 7.3L has the intermittent (usually low speed) shutoff problem.

Let me guess: CPS right?

If so, the replacment article says just replace it... nothing about aligning it or settting the engine at TDC... etc.

(I just did headgaskets on a Windstar... the CPS on it requires an alignment tool and the engine must be TDC on #1)

Am I understanding correctly... the CPS for the 7.3L can be replaced w/out any special tools nor by setting the engine at TDC?

Anyone know why Ford isn't recalling the '96 models since at the very least my truck has this problem? (probably many other '96s with the same problem if I have it)

-Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i don't know why the 94 - 96 are not on the recall list since they have the same problem. i just replaced my CPS on my 96.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

figures "Ford Job 1 Quality" (even when it is International's sub-con'd engine) involves "well, we goofed... but only the 97-up owners are threatening to sue us so..."

I do NOT have a high opinion of how Ford handles mistakes they make.

Anybody clarify on the CPS being simple to install (no aligning tool or setting pistons to TDC required)?

Thanks!

-Terry
Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned

ur jumping to conclusions....

Ford recalled ALL the trucks that had CPS that were from the distributor they had the major problems with. This isnt saying that none of the other trucks will never have problems, but the 97-03 trucks that got thier parts from whatever the origional distibutor for that plant had the major problems. Just because the sensor has the same part number doesnt mean the sensor came from the same manufacturer or same batch....or same build type. There is way more to it than you know and knocking ford for not including 96 models isnt right considering you dont know the exact details of the problems or the manufacturing problem.

Yes...the sensor is easy to replace with no alignment tool needed.....plug and play...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for clarify on the plug and play … man that is good news!

Just let me say I have not had good luck with Ford customer treatment.

I’m very stubborn in my opinions when they are based in first hand experiences ranging through 14 years and several vehicles.

Thankfully the truck quality is much better than the cars and van we have had bearing the blue oval nameplate.

I can live with replacing a $50 sensor in under 1 hour of my time in the driveway (no jack required!).

I gotta ask though… if there are a significant number of 1996 CPS failures, is that not sufficient evidence that this year model too is affected?

If that is the case, it is my personal opinion Ford should fix these vehicles too.

I also have had bad customer treatment from Ford for nearly 15 years with multiple vehicles and I stand on my very low opinion of Ford’s ethic in resolving problems and my confidence in their ability to sell vehicles with sub-standard parts.

-Terry
Old 12-07-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
ur jumping to conclusions....

Ford recalled ALL the trucks that had CPS that were from the distributor they had the major problems with. This isnt saying that none of the other trucks will never have problems, but the 97-03 trucks that got thier parts from whatever the origional distibutor for that plant had the major problems. Just because the sensor has the same part number doesnt mean the sensor came from the same manufacturer or same batch....or same build type. There is way more to it than you know and knocking ford for not including 96 models isnt right considering you dont know the exact details of the problems or the manufacturing problem.

Yes...the sensor is easy to replace with no alignment tool needed.....plug and play...
thanks for the clarification on what is on the recall. i have been knocking Ford myself cuz i have a 96er and my CPS went on me.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeman View Post
Thanks for clarify on the plug and play … man that is good news!

Just let me say I have not had good luck with Ford customer treatment.

I’m very stubborn in my opinions when they are based in first hand experiences ranging through 14 years and several vehicles.

Thankfully the truck quality is much better than the cars and van we have had bearing the blue oval nameplate.

I can live with replacing a $50 sensor in under 1 hour of my time in the driveway (no jack required!).

I gotta ask though… if there are a significant number of 1996 CPS failures, is that not sufficient evidence that this year model too is affected?

If that is the case, it is my personal opinion Ford should fix these vehicles too.

I also have had bad customer treatment from Ford for nearly 15 years with multiple vehicles and I stand on my very low opinion of Ford’s ethic in resolving problems and my confidence in their ability to sell vehicles with sub-standard parts.

-Terry
May I ask you why you keep getting Ford's,why not try a Chevy if you are having bad luck with the Fords. Maybe you just need to go to a different Ford dealership. The Ford dealership that I deal with treats me very well and I've never had any kind of problem with them at all. I also have a 96 PSD,The stock CPS finaly went in that at 167,000 miles. Very easy to change,deepsocket 10mm in whatever size of drive your going to use.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We own a Toyota and Chevy.

Chevy is rocket… put a supercharger on an LT1 myself… lot of mods… $11k car that will outrun a C5 Z06 and hang with a C6 Z06.

“keep going back to Ford”

Actually trying to get rid of the Windstar. Bought the truck because the engine is International and felt it worth a risk. Got a deal and a half on the truck was the other incentive to risk the Ford again (that and it is fairly well known the truck quality has surpassed the passenger vehicle quality dramatically in recent years).

But the “stand behind what you sell” is still Ford unfortunately even with our truck… and this my complaint.

Only keep the ’93 Cobra because it is a ’93 Cobra.

Our daily driver is the Toyota. Our daily driver will never be a Ford again unless something drastic happens.

Let the darts fly!

-T
Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh yeah… my 8 months of misery trying to get stupid stuff fixed on the Cobra Mustang back in 1994 (while still under warranty) involved 3 different Ford dealerships in 2 different towns and about 10 letters to Ford and dealers…

and about 50 hours of my personal time uncompensated by Ford…

and not resolve to 3 major issues that the car still has wrong until I fix them (thus it sits a lot).

The van… have experience with 2 more dealerships that provided no satisfaction… maybe just wanting your vehicle fixed is too much to ask…

so that is a total of 5 dealerships in 4 towns… in 2 states…

not very confidence inspiring.

-T
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 AM

Well that sounds like you've had pretty crapy luck with the dealerships,that kind of treatment would tick me off to. What ever you do,don't buy a CPS from the dealer,they'll rip you off,I think they want 100 to 120$ for one. You can hit one of the vendors up on this site for one,or you can go to ebay and get one for about 30$ shipped to your house. I got mine from Bill @ Dfuser and had it expressed mailed to my house for about 43$,it was here the next day. I needed my truck right then so I paid for the extra shipping charges,now I got smart and carry a spare like everybody else does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.