Fuel Leaking Problem ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Fuel Leaking Problem ?

OK guys im new to the site & I seam to have a fuel leak comming from the back side of the head on the passenger side of the engine & was wondering if any one has had this problem in the past ? A little history on the truck, I purchased it new in late 1995 & it is has been into the dealer for a fuel leak last year (they replaced the fuel pump).And now I notice fuel dripping from the bottom of the trans & upon a closer inspection I find that the dealer didnt even clean up the fuel that is down ontop of the intake manifold.So I guess I have 2 questions (1-what type of fitting/wrench size is the fuel line going into the back of the head) & (2-what would be the proper was to clean up all the spilled fuel off the intake)
Thanks,DT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there is a drain for the valley at the back by the passenger side head. if you have fuel in your valley that is probably where it is coming from.
i just went through the same problem and just used compressed air to blow out the valley to find the leak.
if the pump was done a year ago chances are you have a nother leak, check the fuel lines, banjo bolt from the pump and the vaccum switch on the filter housing, could be coming from any of those.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Sam,
After posting this (dumb) question I have read numerous other threads about fuel leaks on this site (should have read more before posting).Anyway as the fuel pump was replaced not to long ago by the local dealer (400.00) and I dont think the fuel smell has ever completly gone away in the cab after this was done Im now wondering if the fuel pump was the cause of the fuel leak or not ? Well anyway I will be checking this out a lot closer starting tonight to see if I can locate the source of the leak.I just hope its not the filter canister as I here they are pretty pricey.Lots of great info on this site & Im glad to be here.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt449 View Post
Thanks Sam,
After posting this (dumb) question
It's only dumb if your to proud to ask it!
Andy
Old 12-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

Well I cleaned out the intake valley with compressed air & brake cleaner,got her good and dry,let her run for awhile & didnt see any visible leaks from the fuel pump or banjo bolt areas.After looking at the 3 rubber lines connected to the fuel pump I cant see any leaks on the top 2 of them but I cant see the other end of the third line which goes under the filter canister.By the looks of the hoses they were not replaced when the local dealer replaced the pump last year(so I wonder if the pump was even bad at all) & there has always been a slight fuel smell since they had done the work.Anyway I put about 150 miles on her yesterday & once I got home I checked & indeed there is fuel in the intake valleys again.Looks like Im giong to have to pull her apart to get find the leak & would appreciate any suggestions on what I should replace while I got her apart to possibly avoid any future problems in this area.Go ahead & replace the pump again also ?

Thanks-DT
Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just an update on my situation. The problem ended up being the vacuum switch located on the filter canister.After not being able to visually locate anything leaking after cleaning out the intake valley & running the engine for a couple of hours at idle I removed the vacuum switch & applied 30 psi of air to the sensor & I had feul running all over my hand so apperantly it wouldnt leak fuel until I was driving down the road.Replaced sensor & no leaks in over 4 days now.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Infidel

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Welcome to the .ORG
Craig
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check vacum switch just to right of filter just changed mine it was hard to see but it was leaking just a little and check o ring on filter cap mine was leaking too
Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

vacun switch is under $70 cheap and easy fix start it up and watch it for min or two
Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Great info guys ,I have been smelling fuel for a month but no fuel in the manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.