Question about the Shimmed FPR... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about the Shimmed FPR...

Well, I just shimmed my FPR and it really smoothed out my idle big time. I'm just wondering if the spring in my FPR was getting tired or if the OBS trucks' stock fuel pressure was way below the 70psi or so that it's supposed to be making. (I have yet to check fuel pressure but, nothing bad has happened)

Either way, if the truck, in new condition, made a decent amount of pressure, wouldn't the fact that the shim fixed my idle indicate that my spring was getting weak?

-clay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

It could be, it is a spring afterall. The only way to tell for sure is to replace the spring and see what happens. I replaced the spring when I did my ship since it was dirt cheap.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would really hope that there shouldn't be some way that the spring is 'calibrated' is there? It would feel pretty dumb going down to the dealer to find a small spring like that...I'm assuming that I could find just about any spring to fit, though the compression factor kicks in here....any thoughts on that?

-clay
Old 12-03-2007, 04:51 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

I would just get a replacement from International, I paid like $11 for it. I wouldn't try and replace it with just any spring, it could end up with catostrophic failure lol.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Tikal
Whenever I was doing my FPR shim on my 94 I was wondering the same thing: had the spring collapsed some. I almost think that may be true because my idle was really choppy at around 550-600ish. It probably could've induced carsickness lol. But the idle rpm is supposed to be around 625....or that's what the sticker on my valve cover told me *shrug*

Last edited by Tikal; 12-03-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:10 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I would check the pressure first. You may not need a new spring. Stock pressure is like 50psi, I think. When these trucks were new, they idled rough. At least all the ones I was able to get around at the time.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, and thanks....

pipelayer, I actually did this 'cause of your pics...took me five minutes and I'll be getting a gauge pretty soon to test it out. As far as I can tell though, nothing bad has happened. If something were to go wrong, what would? Just so I can look out....

-clay
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The spring is actually what controls the pressure, any old spring will not work, it has to be a spring with the right tension on it. I'm not sure about the older trucks but on my truck they made a spring for California trucks that raises the pressure just like the BB, stock pressure is about 58 psi and the California stock pressure is around 80 psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.