won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
won't start

i have a 97' 7.3 with 108K on the clock. the cam sensor was replaced twice under warranty & once about 3 years ago under a recall. about 8 months it coughed, sputtered, & died. i figured here we go again. after sitting for 15 minutes it fired & has been fine ever since. never did find anything wrong. yesterday i drove 14 miles. when i got ready to come home it fired right up. after moving 20' it sputtered & died. & would not start again. i tried numerous times while waiting for a tow truck. i checked with my dealer & they say if its the sensor i'm on my own now. they wanted $140.00 to diagnose it. the sensor is $26.00. i towed it home. i i figure the sensor is cheaper than the diagnosis. i charged both batteries overnight & it tried again this morning. still no luck. a couple questions 1st. when cranking the fuel filter dash light comes on. is that normal? i plan on replacing the filter before i try the sensor. also there is a switch on the throttle pedal. how often do they fail? can it be bypassed for testing purposes? what exactly is the pedal switch do? last- is a a special tool required for replacing the sensor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It would still start if the pedal switch was bad. Have you tried the International CPS? it is much better than the Ford OE
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
BANNED by Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rober View Post
i have a 97' 7.3 with 108K on the clock. the cam sensor was replaced twice under warranty & once about 3 years ago under a recall. about 8 months it coughed, sputtered, & died. i figured here we go again. after sitting for 15 minutes it fired & has been fine ever since. never did find anything wrong. yesterday i drove 14 miles. when i got ready to come home it fired right up. after moving 20' it sputtered & died. & would not start again. i tried numerous times while waiting for a tow truck. i checked with my dealer & they say if its the sensor i'm on my own now. they wanted $140.00 to diagnose it. the sensor is $26.00. i towed it home. i i figure the sensor is cheaper than the diagnosis. i charged both batteries overnight & it tried again this morning. still no luck. a couple questions 1st. when cranking the fuel filter dash light comes on. is that normal? i plan on replacing the filter before i try the sensor. 2 also there is a switch on the throttle pedal. how often do they fail? 3 can it be bypassed for testing purposes? what exactly is the pedal switch do? 4last- is a a special tool required for replacing the sensor?

Most all the light will come on when cycling the key YOu didn't mention it but does the WTS light still come on?

There is a switch and a rheostat. The switch tells the PCM that your pedal is in idle position and to let idle commands take over the motor. The rheostat is a variable voltage "switch" that tells the PCM how much power you demand of the motor. Both go bad and both can be bought fairly cheap on Amazon as a dealer sell them as an assembly at a much higher price.

Elmo got this.

Not really, it's just a 10mm bolt. I use a 1/4 drive ratchet with a 3" extension (hex head NOT 12-point). Always keep a spare and a set of tools in the glove box.

You can give it another CPS but at the same time check fuse 22 under the hood and test the fuel pressure while cranking.

Last edited by BigFuel; 01-29-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I carry a CPS and a 10mm wrench in my glove box. It is the first thing I rule out if I have this kind of problem. I would just swap out the sensor and see what happens and not give your hard earned $$ to the dealer.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM

what is the wts light?where is this sensor located? isn't the ford OE sensor the same as an international sensor? i saw some different brands on the common 7.3 problem sticky. are there some to avoid? napa carries the sensor made by standard ignition. anyone tried one of these?

Last edited by rober; 01-30-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 AM
BANNED by Kris

Sorry, WTS is the "wait to start" light.

CPS sensor is just above and to the left (passenger side) of the crank pulley.

No, Ford made their own parts and International made their own parts for the International 7.3L. Our 7.3L's are tractor engines that Ford and International thought "hell, why not?". Sometimes Ford parts are more expensive and sometimes International parts are more expensive. In this case the Ford CPS is cheaper but a known weakness compared to the International part. The International part is twice as much.

Your last two questions, this engine does not like parts that are not Ford or International brand. Yes NAPA and others do make a CPS as well as other replacement parts but in general they don't go the distance of the Ford or International part.

If you want Ford parts at a good price and are willing to wait for shipping search out AutoFair Ford here on the org. He is a Ford dealer and supporter of the site.

Last edited by BigFuel; 01-30-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 AM

thanks for that. ford wants $22.00, napa has the std ignition for $21.00, oreilly's has a borg warner for $ 25.00 with a lifetime warranty. i haven't checked international yet but will. this is the 4th or 5th time this thing ( if that is what it is ) has failed. i'm not so much about cheaping out as i am keeping the truck running. a lifetime warranty doesn't mean much if i'm stuck in the middle of clark national forest. since the ford parts keep failing i think it's time to try an international sensor.
i just finished up a break pad job that turned rotors, calpers, ball joints, front transaxle u-joints, & all related seals. i also had to replace the brake backing plate ( splash guard ) as it had rusted out. hopefully this willbe it for awhile.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
BANNED by Kris

You need two, one in the truck and one in the glove box. These things break all the time, nature of the beast. The International CPS is between $35-$45 depending on current sales and the like.

Out of respect to jesilvas I'll give you the link to the thread but scroll down to his find (3rd post) to see the side by side:

Which CPS?

[EDIT] the IH part # is 1876736C91

Last edited by BigFuel; 01-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM

just got off the phone with international. he says he needs the international serial # to i.d the right sensor but could not tell me where the ser. number is located. anyone know where to look or know the the international part number?
thanks big fuel. i'm going to check that link right now.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
BANNED by Kris

I edited my post above and got mine here. There are cheaper ones out there sometimes.

Improved Blue CPS for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Diesel

He has both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.