Rear drum full of grease!??! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear drum full of grease!??!

Doing some of the very clearly neglected maintenance on this new to me truck I have, and when I pulled off the passenger side rear drum, I found grease/oil on EVERYTHING!! Very thick too. Where would this have come from, axle seal, hub seal ( dunno if there is a difference) but I need to figure out which it is so I can replace it before finishing up the brakes. I don't believe it was the wheel cylinder leaking cause this is literally thick grease that was Inside there. But it was thickly coating everything inside the drum. Please help quick as I need to finish this tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ahhh just noticed my drivers side rear drum dripping fluid as well. Think mine is a WC. I would imagine your problem is an axle seal.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured. The deeper I dig into this truck the worse things get! At least I didn't pay anything for the truck itself I guess! Previous owners apparently didn't feel maintenance was important. It took me almost an hour to get the wheel off, it was seized to the hub...probably hasn't been off since it was originally put on in 97 haha!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Axle seal would be my bet.
Probably a good time to change out the fluid in the rear diff, and do both axle seals. Typically when one goes, the other isn't to far behind.
Also make sure the differential vent tube isn't plugged with dirt/debris. If it's plugged new seals are going to blow out again after a few miles. Should be a line running from the drivers side of the pumpkin up towards the frame rail.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsboy View Post
Axle seal would be my bet.
Probably a good time to change out the fluid in the rear diff, and do both axle seals. Typically when one goes, the other isn't to far behind.
Also make sure the differential vent tube isn't plugged with dirt/debris. If it's plugged new seals are going to blow out again after a few miles. Should be a line running from the drivers side of the pumpkin up towards the frame rail.
Yep, did both seals, the other one wasn't as much of a mess as the first, but it was wet inside. Checked the cent tube and its good and clear, and yes I'll be changing the diff fluid tomorrow as well. Still have to bleed and adjust the brakes so haven't driven it yet anyway. But one question I have is, do I need to get that axle angled side to side to fill those hubs up with oil? Or is there some kind of oil slinger in the diff that will send the fluid down to them?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to me, when I bought my old 93 F250. It had sat for a couple months after the original owner bought a new truck, and the seals dryed out / leaked.

I see you already replaced it, I would have replaced the bearings too while you were already into the axle.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepzj94 View Post
Yep, did both seals, the other one wasn't as much of a mess as the first, but it was wet inside. Checked the cent tube and its good and clear, and yes I'll be changing the diff fluid tomorrow as well. Still have to bleed and adjust the brakes so haven't driven it yet anyway. But one question I have is, do I need to get that axle angled side to side to fill those hubs up with oil? Or is there some kind of oil slinger in the diff that will send the fluid down to them?

Yes and no.
If you packed the bearings well with a quality grease, there should be plenty of lubrication until the differential fluid can 'circulate'. The entire differential acts as an oil slinger when the vehicle is in motion. Plenty of rotating pieces, so plenty of oil circulating.
You can jack the truck up one side at a time and allow it to sit at an angle for a few minutes if you are worried about cooking a bearing. Not necessary, but it should put your mind at ease.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yes and no.
If you packed the bearings well with a quality grease, there should be plenty of lubrication until the differential fluid can 'circulate'. The entire differential acts as an oil slinger when the vehicle is in motion. Plenty of rotating pieces, so plenty of oil circulating.
You can jack the truck up one side at a time and allow it to sit at an angle for a few minutes if you are worried about cooking a bearing. Not necessary, but it should put your mind at ease.
Or just park sidways on a hill? (Just make sure it's not to steep )
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Yes and no.
Thanks for the help, got it all finished up today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
Or just park sidways on a hill? (Just make sure it's not to steep )
That'll work as well.
Given its already on jack stands (assuming) I've found its easier to drop one side, drink a beer while you let it sit, jack that side up again and drop the opposite, drink another beer, and then drop the remaining side. Plus you get to drink a couple beers with my method

Jeep, glad you got the truck rolling again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.