95 2wd 350 to 04+ 4wd swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 95 2wd 350 to 04+ 4wd swap

Ok this will be a long term thing as i gather the money, parts, and time to do it once i get the truck back on the road. New to ford trucks and all so hang with me especially the OBS though ive always wanted one.

That being said in the title i have 04+ because i think that was the year they started the coil spring suspension on the 4x4s.

My truck being its a 2wd has the coil spring Twin beam suspension as yall are familiar with but that brings me to my question. Will the newer coil spring 4wd system bolt up under the truck using the stock coil spring/shock bucket.

I tried searching on this but i could not find anything though i am sure i was using too specific words but i suck at searching. Anyway where i ran across it was a discussion about brakes or axels or something and it was suggested to swap the newer axels and such to gain disk brakes and a better ride in a 4wd truck with the progressive coil springs.

So let the discussing or bashing begin however yall wanna do it but give me some info and details. Right now i am going to set the record straight in saying i will NOT sell this truck to buy a 4wd truck so lets just keep that off the discussion table.

Thanks in advance yall and looking forward to reading the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's the 05 and up trucks that have coil sprung D60's. I don't know if it would work with your existing buckets but Cary at CT performance would probably be the best person to talk to. Just a heads up, the lug pattern changed in 99 and in 05 the back spacing changed so you will need different wheels than what you have now. On another note, I would look for a super 60, it can turn a bit sharper.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Never heard of this super 60, and like already stated its 05+ with the coil spung, pm Cary at ctperformance, user name here is obswiz, he has the u joints, and brake lines you will need for the swap, he has done plenty, but if you search 05+ axel swap you will find all the guys that have done them, lots of good threads on it, and they look great, btw you will need the 05+ shock and spring towers too, your stock ones will not suffice afaik, good luck, welcome to the org and can't wait to see this start up
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's sometimes called the wide track front in the newer trucks also referred to as the fat boy axle. IIR it's 46 turning vs 39.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Any particular model that it would come on? Would love this when I get the gumption to do mine
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
It's the 05 and up trucks that have coil sprung D60's. I don't know if it would work with your existing buckets but Cary at CT performance would probably be the best person to talk to. Just a heads up, the lug pattern changed in 99 and in 05 the back spacing changed so you will need different wheels than what you have now. On another note, I would look for a super 60, it can turn a bit sharper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
It's sometimes called the wide track front in the newer trucks also referred to as the fat boy axle. IIR it's 46 turning vs 39.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Any particular model that it would come on? Would love this when I get the gumption to do mine
i always thought that the super 60 and the wide track were different. the super 60 starting i thought around 02 in all dually trucks with beefier u joint and 35 spline outers. then the wide track was available in 05 or 06 as an option on 350s, 450s, and 550s. i could be wrong it has happened before
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

I think the 2wd coils buckets are the same... where do u live at, i can get u a killer deal on a set of 08 axles with 3000 miles and everything u need to do it minus odds and ends u will/need to get from cary. I will deliver for price of fuel out and back. I live in MD
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

But the 95 coil buckets are different
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I live in Texas an hour from louisiana, as of right now im getting the truck and parts together to get it running after a wreak and sitting for 5 years. Cleaning the rats nests, fuel lines and tanks, checking and replacing chewed and or otherwise damaged wires and lines.

That being said this 4x swap is a long term project thats right now just in the information and smaller cheaper parts gathering phase, later will come the big pieces(if i couldnt just find a wreaked donor for the suspension, wheels and good interior for an update swap).

I was aware of the wheel diff which will be a perk for better looking stockers. As far as the widee turn axle i knew that there was a version of that but thought it was only on 450 and 550. if there is an axle like that i will be buying it versus a regular axle cause i like tight turning.

I appreciate all the input yall have given already keep it coming.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Subscribed

Looking forward to seeing the project as it progresses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.