97 7.3 random questions from spending too much time on google. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 7.3 random questions from spending too much time on google.

So heres my story. Im in college for heavy diesel... my problem was that i drove a dodge neon, being a craigslist junky i came across an ad ( i live in southeast alaska so not a whole lot of activity on there) a 97 e-350 with a 7.3 diesel. he said it would need the fuel system cleaned out or something and he didnt know what it needed. Interested, i went to check it out and was expecting to see a rusty lawn ornament. I was surprised when i came across this monster. Previously owned by the hosbital. it spent its entire life picking up drunk people. I ended up putting a battery in it and it fired up after it was sitting for two years (the guy never tried to start it i guess). so what exactly did i score?
a 97 e-350 van, with a 7.3 turbo diesel,a tall roof (i can stand in it and im 6'4") and did i mention it has a special factory done 4x4 in it. I got all the service records from the shop and it was babied when the hosbital ran her around. complete with flashing lights, plastic rear seat with handcuff holes and no inside door handles (many friends have been locked back there) The best part is i paid 400 bucks and drove her home.

So heres some questions...

There isnt as much aftermarket for the vans, i read alot about DIY intakes but the van doesnt have much room up front but i do have alot of access from the dog house in the cab. Will a 7.3 larger down pipe work on the van? i have access to lifts, welders and all those goodies.

Cat delete? im a college kid so money is kinda tight. Im thinking about just punching out the cat. I live in Alaska so i have absolutly no inspection (i have seen nicer junk car in people's yards down south then on the road here) so none of that emision crap matters. I know people at a muffler shop but i think they only do up to 3" and i understand stock is a 3.5"?. And before you say it...no tractor trailer exhaust shop. my home town is an island and where i go to college is on mainland but there are no roads that go anywhere but here...so no need for professional tractor trailer repair when we have flex hose.

Muffler delete? i understand the muffler is really free flowing so all it does it make it louder? im planning a move way up north after i get my associates degree so i dont really want to listen to an obnoxious exhaust for 4 or 5 days. if it robs power and makes my EGT higher then ill get rid of it. if not i supose ill get rid of the cat which is really a power hog.

as much as i want to, i really want a tuner. beans diesel,dp tuner and tony wildman. ive talked to all of them. and i know i will need gauges which i will buy even with out a tuner because i like to watch that stuff and it looks cool.

what are some other sujestions? it would be nice to talk to some other people experienced with these vans so i can learn some new tips and tricks.

a tow hitch! everyone needs one for sure and i only have a large metal "drunk step" off the back of mine but as i have read, the van frame is 6 inches wider than the truck so i may have to just order a brand new one instead of finding one. (again the whole island thing makes it very difficult)

this one i think i have handled but where i will be moving to reaches -40 in the winter time and i have been around diesels to know that they are a pain to start when its above freezeing. for this i will have a block heater, a coolant heater/circulator, a battery tender to keep the battery warm, transmission pan warmer and an oil pan warmer. im in for one hell of an adventure.

im open for sujestions from anyone on anything i can do, cheap or expensive im wanting to know so i can plan everything out as i own this beast. i think i attached some pictures so you guys can see it.

finally, dont mind the mis spelled words. Im a mechanic, not a writer lol.
Attached Thumbnails
97 7.3 random questions from spending too much time on google.-imag0413.jpg   97 7.3 random questions from spending too much time on google.-imag0402.jpg   97 7.3 random questions from spending too much time on google.-imag0412.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.