CPS removal question... rounded bolt and others - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CPS removal question... rounded bolt and others

Hey guys-
This is my first post to the site. I just picked up a 96 CCSB with 104K. The truck runs great and the body is in awesome shape.

I have been doing general maintenance to the truck, oil, filters, etc... and wanted to swap out the CPS as preventative maintenance. The current CPS is the stock one with 17 years and 104K miles on the clock. Needless to say the 10mm bolt it is in there tight and is not cooperating and has rounded off real good.

In my efforts to remove the CPS, I am wondering if I can bend the arm on the CPS bracket down to get to the bolt with vise grips?

The truck runs fine as is and is my DD right now, so I need to ensure the CPS stays fully functional until I can get that bolt out. I just want to make sure bending that bracket or cutting it off is not going to cause problems.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are sockets for this purpose now; they bite into the rounded head as you turn counter-clockwise. Look up "Bolt-out" at Sears, or "extractor" on (don't laugh) Harbor Freight. Irwin/Stanley also makes a set.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
There are sockets for this purpose now; they bite into the rounded head as you turn counter-clockwise. Look up "Bolt-out" at Sears, or "extractor" on (don't laugh) Harbor Freight. Irwin/Stanley also makes a set.
Thanks for the reply. I have a set of the Craftsmen bolt out and they dont bite into the bolt very well. They do a little then slip off.

I am wondering of the Irwin brand might be a little sharper.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM

10mm, right? Believe it or not, consider the Harbor Freight product, if you have a retail store nearby. I had a 10mm-head bolt for the serp belt tensioner on my Saturn rounded off. The Craftsman one epic failed; you could see the "teeth" of the tool actually wearing as I tried it. Returned the set, bought a set of the Pittsburg brand at HF, and it worked.

If you have the SAE bolt-outs, you might just want to see if the 3/8" will grab that bugger.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am thinking about buying the Irwin bolt outs. I dont have a HF nearby, so thats not an option at this point.

I am gonna get after it tomorrow. Love spending my Saturdays on the concrete, in sub zero temps, with the Playoffs on.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM

If u have room in there u could weld a bigger nut to the top of the bolt... provided room of course
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 PM

And provided you have a welder, and a place to plug it in, and the training, and...... Given that there are tools made for this job, available in the $25-30 range, and that they'll likely find additional uses in the future, welding onto the fastener is like firing a cannon at a fruitfly.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Has anyone ever used the dremel to cut away the mounting bracket as to expose a few of the threads and take the pressure off the bolt?

I would think this would help allow the bolt buster to get down in there as well
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM

That was just my. 02 that is what i do if i cant get a bolt out that is rounded over. I forget not everyone has access to the things i do
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 PM

Isn't it pretty tight squeeze in there? Wonder if you could get a Dremel tool to reach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.