How noisy is your OBS? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How noisy is your OBS?

My rig's been parked since April, and I just started driving it again now that the engine swap is done. In the last couple trips, I noticed it seems REALLY LOUD. I remember being able to hear injector clatter while driving before, and I know the DE 3" DP makes turbo whistle more noticeable, but now the engine and injector noise is such that we have to raise our voices almost to yelling just to hear each other! Forget listening to the radio, it's gotta be cranked all the way to hear it.

While I drove the '97 for a bit this summer, I don't recall it being near as noisy as the '95. It has a carpeted interior while the '95 has the vinyl/rubber floor covering all over, but I don't know what effect that has on noise levels.

How noisy is your OBS? If I wanted to quiet mine (interior-wise; I don't care what people OUTSIDE the truck hear!), what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Dynomat the floor and firewall, mine is quiet as hell inside, you can speak softly at highway speed
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

There were two plugs missing in the firewall on my truck, one was for where the slave cylinder comes through and another one for something, that made it way louder inside, maybe they are missing? Just a thought.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine has the vinyl floor too. Not much insulation under there, I have to turn the radio up at least halfway before I can ever hear it over the motor.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback. No plugs missing from the firewall; mine has the slave cyl, and all other holes were filled (noted when the engine was out). Guess it's the vinyl floor and lack of insulation... thinking of pulling the carpet and insulation out of the '97 anyway, I can Dynamat it then. That stuff is expensive, but I know there are guys on ebay selling a generic knockoff for less, might try that.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM

my shifter boot is loose on one side, so when I shift into the gears on the pass side, 4th and 5th the truck get about twice as loud lol.

I have vinal floor and ill be honest its pretty loud. I can hear the radio fine though. at like half way up.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM

^^^^ +1; damaged shifter boot can let in a LOT of noise.

Our RCLB is vinyl-floored and the ECLB is carpeted, and come to think of it, there is a noticeable difference. Isn't there some generic backing stuff you can get at Home Despot or wherever, that works a lot like Dynamat but is more hardware-store priced, popular for this kind of thing?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Mine is really quiet... It died last year
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And make sure that there is plenty of clearance for the down-pipe. I though mine had enough, but, it would barely touch when driving and cause a heck of a noise. Had to massage the firewall a bit more.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM

My shifter boot is kinda tough in the 94 I got a insulated shifter cover for a semi that I put over it helps a lot

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.