Truck just died...need help asap!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck just died...need help asap!!

I know this is probably in the wrong section but I figured it would get more traffic here. So here's the deal, I parked my truck in November so I could start doing some work on it. I got busy and it sat under my car port until this morning. My dad decided to take it out to charge the batteries this morning and as he was going along and it just died. Before I parked it I put power service in both tanks so the fuel wouldn't gel and I ran probably 10 miles on both tanks so it would mix. He said it didnt make any odd sounds or anything, it just died. It'll turn over but it wont fire...any one have any good ideas? Oh and its been bolow freezing for about 4 days now too...

sent from a smoke signal...that I took a picture of with my S3..then translated to english words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM

If it's the truck in your sig, it's the right section. Typical crank-no-start questions:
* Does the WTS light come on?
* Does the tach move when you crank it?
* Any white smoke?

Hmm, November - does it still have summer fuel in it? Which PS product did you use, gray bottle or white?

When your dad started it, how hard was it to start?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM

Yep..its that turd lol

*yes
*I'll ask
*I'll ask

It is definitely summer fuel, I wanna say white. He said it barely started but it ran fine once he got it going.

sent from a smoke signal...that I took a picture of with my S3..then translated to english words.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM

He said he doesnt remember 100% if the tach moved but he doesnt think it did. He didnt look for white smoke either so who knows. What significance would the tach moving have? White smoke would signal fuel right? Lets say hypothetically that there was white smoke and it woildnt fire, where does that land me? Im gonna try to make it over there next weekend to see what the deal is. It died like an 1/8th of a mile from the house when he left with it. Im really hoping for just some gelled fuel. It supposed to be in the 50's this coming week so we'll see.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 PM

Tach moving means CPS is _probably_ not the cause. If there's tach and smoke, and given the circumstances, gelled fuel is a strong possibility. Get some Power Service Diesel 911 and put it right into the filter bowl. Then put some in whichever tank has _less_ fuel (so it's more concentrated) and run off that tank. And get some winter fuel in those tanks ASAP.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Not to be a newb but whats a cps?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Camshaft position sensor. It's about a ten minute job and a $35 part. Keep a spare in the truck always.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM

I like the sounds of that lol so if the tach jumps while it cranks the cps is shot? Given the situation are there any other possible failures?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM

No, if the tach moves, then the CPS is probably GOOD. If the tach _doesn't_ move, then the CPS is suspect. But as said, good to have a spare in the glove box anyway. Get one from the Ford or International dealer, NOT an aftermarket part.

Could still be a lot of other things - IDM, injector wiring / valve cover harnesses, injection pressure, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.