LED cargo/brake light retrofit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LED cargo/brake light retrofit

I decided it was time to ditch the incandescent lamps in the cargo/stop lamp on the cab. I know there are LED replacements available, but the appearance of these units are far too riceresque for my liking. I wanted the reliability and efficiency of LEDs while maintaining a stock appearance.

After removing the lamps, I determined the size of brake light circuit board I could fit into the housing and cut away the reflector/lampholder for the brake light. I purchased a 4" truck tail/brake light that didn't have the LEDs sealed in place to use the LEDs and resistors from, which saved me trial and error of building the LED circuits. An old piece of protoboard was used to mount the donor LEDs. Total of 54 5mm LEDs.

Once the LED board was done, I sealed it by pouring 5 minute epoxy over it.

I purchased 3W warm white LEDs and drivers on ebay. I added new new leads and sealed the drivers in much the same way as I did on my F350 backup lights (picture of my backup light build shown to show driver mods, 3W LEDs are different in size/shape compared to the 10W I used on the backup lights, but the driver is much the same in appearance.)

LED board was epoxied to the housing. 3W LEDs epoxied to cargo lamp socket holes. Cargo light LED drivers epoxied to backside of brake LED board. wiring connected to original connector.

Brake function

Cargo light

All LEDs on

Unfortunately my camera is crap and the white balance freaks out with all the red light. The converted unit is as bright, or brighter than the incandescent was, with a fraction of the current draw and heat output.
Of course, this conversion will require a ballast resistor for proper cruise and TC lockup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very nice billl...as usual. How well with thoes 3watt leds light up the bed of the truck while your in it.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Electrical Ogre

Light output is nearly identical. Both the incandescent and LED throw the same amount of light in the box. The LEDs have a small silicone "lens" that diffuses the light so it isn't the typical narrow LED beam.

Here you can see the incandescent (bottom) and the LED (top) both lit up.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I see.... may have to upgrade for some working cargo lights. Haha 10w a piece. If they will even fit?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Or the kit that goes under your bed rails to light that up. Thanks for the write up bill, this is awesome
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Electrical Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
I see.... may have to upgrade for some working cargo lights. Haha 10w a piece. If they will even fit?
You could add 10W LEDs in there, but you'd DEFINITELY need to fabricate some kind of heatsink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Or the kit that goes under your bed rails to light that up. Thanks for the write up bill, this is awesome
No problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.