Replacement fuel pickup/screen???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacement fuel pickup/screen????

I took the bed off the truck today. 97 F250 7.3 275K Had a dent I wanted to pound out. Thought I would look at the rear tank. It runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank. Pulled the sending unit out and the pickup strainer is about 3" tall, broken off and laying at the bottom of the tank. Decided to check the front one. Well it is broken off also laying at the bottom too. Any aftermarket fixes for these??? Hate to put back stock if they are going to fail again.

BTW any thing to check while I am there??? Heard you could shorten the fill tube so you can fill the tanks faster. Opinions??? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check guzzle 7.3's harpoon mod for the tubes. His hitch mod explains his fix for the pickup tube. Basically making your own tube

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

they just break over time, they are close to 30 dollars at the ford dealer. how did you remove your fuel lines from your sending unit?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokinIt F250 View Post
they just break over time, they are close to 30 dollars at the ford dealer. how did you remove your fuel lines from your sending unit?
I have got the little removal tools from the auto store years ago. The little plastic clips that slide into the fittings. They work but took a while to work them into the right place. Also need to have the exact right size. You need to make sure the fitting is clean and move the fitting back n forth a few times to seat the clip and then they will slide right off.

BTW I haven't tried the dealer but seeing them on them on the net they were going for about $40.

BTW the brass float in the front tank was leaking. I think I found a replacement in plastic used on a lot of Fords and Jeeps. $5 at Advance but you really have to hunt it down. They don't list it for the vehicle and have to order it. Omix-ada 17729.01 The rear tank had a completely different one.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can you use regular black fuel line for a diesel??? Transmission line is heavier is that any better?? Or worse???
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

as long as its rated for fuel Id use whatever. I used A1 marine fuel hose when I did mine, because I had it around. Its pricey and there are cheaper ways to do it.

Ebay sells pretty cheap fuel hose ive used before for like 90c a foot. Fuel Gas Line Hose 5 16" x 25' Spool Made in USA | eBay

I would bet transmission line would work just fine. google the code on the line and maybe you will be able to find if its rated for diesel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.