Is this just a really cold truck/fuel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this just a really cold truck/fuel?

It got down to minus 11 here this morning.
Truck was plugged in on my timer that comes ona 4am. Started to get her running about 7:15. She blew white smoke from te beginning so I know she was getting fuel. After about 45min of off and on cranking she turned over and ran for about 20secs and died. More on an off cranking for quite a while and same thing, would turn over then die after 10-30 secs. Then I started getting a little throttle response but she would lope down and die, CEL would come on because she was prob missing a couple 4 cylinders. Now she'll start, run for 20-30 secs then sound like she's missing a couple cylinders, CEl light comes on, she'll fight that for a minute, drop into a normal idle, CEL goes off, then back to missing again.
I'm thinking my old injectors and the cold have things unhappy this morning.
Fuel pressure seems to be about 50psi.
Right now I'm wishing that I had checked to see what the pressure was on this new fuel bowl assembly....
Any thoughts?
I just walked back outside. She's doing the same thing. What's striking me a really odd is my temp gauge has started moving up past the first line towards the normal range. It usually takes a good 5 miles of driving to do that. It never breaks off the C just at normal idle in the morning...

Last edited by creekfreak; 01-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM

I think I found the culprit. P side UVCH. I'missong that entire bank. It just lopes on and off. I've got new ones ordered but they are still days away. Fuuudge.
I'm going to dig around and see if I can get it jury rugged in the meantime.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Seriously. How much more could go wrong today. Wait, don't tell me.
So one local shop had one UVCH in stock for $77. Picked it up w the wife's tundra ( why am I never working on her Toyota....) and got it installed.
So on the wiring clip that's in my truck (old ones), there's a bare twisted aluminum wire wrapped up in the wire molding with the other 5 wires. I havnt chased them back to anything, but what gives?

So I get her up and going. Running fine. A couple little burps I attribute to opening her up and everything. Get up on the mountain to plow out a road for guests coming in and blow the high pressure hose of my power steering pump. Eff me man.
Get the truck out of the way, find the hose in town thankfully but it's getting to cold and too dark to fight getting the bottom nut into the booster.
It seems like it should just spin right in but it's not biting a thread.
Do these things come in a standard and a metric? Perhaps I have the wrong one after all.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Well, they come in SAE and metric ("standard" hasn't meant SAE/inch since disco sucked), and yeah, even in the same year - thank you Ford, may we have another!?.... Not sure how you even know which one you have, unless they have female fittings at the parts store to try to thread the old/new line into. It'd suck to have to take the pump off just to compare; maybe they'd let you use a pump in stock to try the old hose and various new ones.

Prob. doesn't even go by VIN range or where the truck was built, since they probably switched pump suppliers / fitting sizes back and forth based on lowest bidder.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hell of a day you got going Chad, hopefully you can get that hose fixed in the morning bud
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Hang on a sec.... So ok, they do come in sae and metric. The fitting that goes onto the pump itself threads up just fine, so I must have the right one... Right? I mean those guys wouldn't have put sae on one end and metric on the other would they? No....
Alright, I'm going to get after this bottle of laphroaig my wife scored at one of the rentals, chill out and get that sucker in in the morning. Maybe ill use the wife's tiny hands again to get it started lol...she really hates this truck yanno....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.