water leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water leak

Well here is problem #2. I have a water leak that i have narrowed down to the top of the windshield (as i have water hosed it and the water drips in from there - and not the marker lights). So , i was quoted 135 to remove and replace (that is w/ new windshield if they break it and removing rust and priming it, if there is rust). Or can i just use some auto windshield sealant to seal it? if so, how is the outer trim around the windshield held on - i sure don't want to tear it off and find out i have more of a mess than i can fix myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Thats cheap! I paid $230 with a discount for my 99 ranger to replace the windshield. If it was me and you have any corrosion then you need to grind it out it can be a bastage so have the professionals do it for you.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
What u talkin bout willis

Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
i had the same problem on my old truck and i just lifted the black rubber style trim and put some good pookie in there and smeared it around(cleaning it up as i came out to be visible) and just put tape over it for a day or so so the pookie can cure it sealed and vwalah no leaky
Old 11-02-2007, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
but its your windshield
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 AM

oh yeah in case if your wanting to know what i used i used kitchen and bath clear silicone from lowes it was like $2.35 and it worked fine
Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

mucho thanks.. i have some sealer so i will try and bust of the chrome trim and see what is underneath. does anyone know how that trim is held on? I would guess its just the sealant they used to seal the windshield.?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Thats cheap! I paid $230 with a discount for my 99 ranger to replace the windshield. If it was me and you have any corrosion then you need to grind it out it can be a bastage so have the professionals do it for you.
i tool off the trim and man it looks like 2 years of dirt and pine needles stuffed in there. some there is some surface rust around the valley the trip fits into and on the fasteners that connect the trim to the metal buttons attached to the cab. Should i put some naval jelly on those areas and then touch it up with some primer or just wash everything down and seal up the holes and see what happens - maybe take it in if it leaks again? Thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I reckon you have figured how the moulding comes off by now so I'll skip that. Naval Jelly may not stop the rust. Rust is Cancer and it will spread. If this place will truly fix the rust, by cutting it out and replacing the metal for the price you quited that seems really cheap and I would want to watch the repair. The only product I would trust to actually stop rust in POR15 or KBS. I prefer the KBS stuff. I am doing a frame off on a 77CJ5 and I am coating everything in KBS, it actually kills the rust and then seals it from the enviorment forever. Do just squirt selant in there and think you have cured the problem. It may stop the leak but it won't stop the rust.
Good Luck
Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
I reckon you have figured how the moulding comes off by now so I'll skip that. Naval Jelly may not stop the rust. Rust is Cancer and it will spread. If this place will truly fix the rust, by cutting it out and replacing the metal for the price you quited that seems really cheap and I would want to watch the repair. The only product I would trust to actually stop rust in POR15 or KBS. I prefer the KBS stuff. I am doing a frame off on a 77CJ5 and I am coating everything in KBS, it actually kills the rust and then seals it from the enviorment forever. Do just squirt selant in there and think you have cured the problem. It may stop the leak but it won't stop the rust.
Good Luck
I just went through this with mine...Rusted all the way around...The top needed a new piece welded in. it was bad enough to price a new roof. 6 Mos ago , blasted and added sealant, no go , started to leak right away. Covered it with tape to keep the steering wheel dy untill now...Have a body shop look at it....SOON.....
Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Rust is not bad on the metal. i did find that when they sealed it - they missed a few spots and i fixed that with some free flowing glass sealant. I am high and dry now. So we will see. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.