Weird sounds, loss of power and tymar intake. Coincidence? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird sounds, loss of power and tymar intake. Coincidence?

Recently got a 96 f250 4x4 club cab with 280k on the clock. Just did the diy tymar intake. Now the truck makes strange noises when cold. Not too sure if its a coincidence or not. An intermitent groaning sound comes from the left side of the engine bay when its driving while cold. It almost sounds like the filter is vibrating on the wheel well where the filter is resting and when the noise occurs, there is a small sucking sound from the opposite side of the engine bay, kind of down by the passengers feet. When this happens power decreases, and when I gun it, it goes away. Once the truck has been driven for a while it seems to be fine.

I watched today and when it lost power I looked at the gauges. RPM's stay the same but speed decreases a couple MPH.

I'm tempted to reinstall the original box just to see whats going on but thought I'd ask you guys first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The weird sound could be from the intake I guess if is moving around, which I dont know why it would.
The 'sucking' sound and power loss is the EBPV closing/sticking. When you did the intake did you have the tube off all the way to the turbo? If so, check the EBPV plug below the turbo inlet to make sure it is plugged in correctly
Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM

I never disconnected the tube from the turbo. I just took the original box off, stuck in a 4" diameter, six inch long chrome tube and bolted on the filter.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Full A-Team Member

try this, under the turbo inlet is a 2 wire plug. unplug it, if the 'sucking' sound and loss of power stops, it is the ebpv closing/sticking
Old 12-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Been reading up on this after your first post. Thank you by the way. I think the growling noise is just the engine slowing down when that valve closes (or opens?).

I live in Albuquerque so it's cold, but not cold cold, so I'm not too worried but I do have a couple of questions if you dont mind helping a newb.

1) Somewhere in my reading someone said disconnecting that valve might harm the tranny over time. I can't see the connection but maybe you can.

2) How long do I warm up the motor before driving away? Or are diesels like regular cars where its best to warm up for 30 seconds and drive away? As a former bus driver in Flagstaff we used to warm them up for 30 min before we drove.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i let my volt gauge go normal then drive, i stay off it untill my coolant gauge moves then i dont mind trying to gain a lil speed quicker, but i have yet to have a problem it's good to let them warm up a bit and a aic would be good for you, or custom tunes with a setting for hi idle, being as how your about as far south as i am it's not a huge deal in the winter, but still good to let it warm up a bit before you just take off, hope this helps some

AIC is auxillary idle control btw
Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Full A-Team Member

I dont even have that valve left in my truck and before I removed it I had the plug unplugged for 3 years, all it is, is a warm-up device.

^^^Like Kris said, let it warm up at least until the voltage goes back into the middle of the guage after start up.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Thanks. I've never noticed the voltage less than 12 when it first starts. Ill look at that.

About the temp though... Mine barely crawls up at all even when it's been running a long time. I figured with such a large motor it must take a long time for it to get warm. It moves but not much past the first line on the left. So are we talking ten minute warm up? Longer?

Edit: did some reading. Few minute warm up should suffice. If it doesn't get off that cold line I might grab a new t stat. Cheap and couldn't hurt.

Last edited by Rancho5; 12-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
mite as well, but here in so cal i never get it up to mid way EVER, and even when towing, unless it is something over 8k, and then it is still under the mid way mark if i forget to turn off the od going up hill lol (happened twice before i realized on an %8 grade) so a small (10-15 min) warm up should have you good unless you blow smoke out the driveway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.