New member with 7.3 problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member with 7.3 problem

I am a new owner of a 95 f250 7.3l. I bought the truck and it ran great on the two hour drive home. Now the truck has a rough idle and it sputters when it shifts into overdrive. Things I have done so far- changed fuel filter, oil change 15w40, cheched under one valve cover for loose injector wiring connections. Didn't have the chance to check under the other one. I did notice that the pedestal o-rings need to be changed but I'm not sure if that would cause rough ideling or surge at overdrive. There are no codes, no fuel leaks, and as far as I can tell no boost leaks. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to working on diesels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you should really find a scanner to hook up and watch what its doing specifically the injection control pressure and the ipr valve percentage ipr was out in my ipr didn't run worth a crap and no power new valve all is good. i would also check the fuel pressure if its way low could cause it to not run correctly
Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there a special scanner that needs to be used? im not sure if it is a fuel problem or tranny problem since it is happening in overdrive. Another thing when I switch to the rear tank the truck loses power and dies.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I use a Snapon scanner but since its a 95 unless the PCM has been updated it won't be obd 2 so borrowing an auto parts stores will make it tough you'll just have try and see. On my 94 I have to go in as a 96 to hook the scanner up. With my Snapon I can watch engine and Trans stuff on auto which would help you determine what's going on. As far as the rear tank issue could be problem with switching block or pickup tube in tank or fuel lines to rear tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.