Where the heck is my throttle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where the heck is my throttle?

The girl is just getting really gutless the last couple of weeks and she feels like she's got jack all for throttle. I've replaced the fuel pump and put in a new bowl to get rid of those leaks and that doesn't change anything. I'm pretty sure I've got some exhaust/turbo leaks... Will that do it? I've been looking for that ebp tube or whatever it's called that's supposed to be on the hpop but I can't seem to see/find it to clean it out.
The exhaust is stock and I still have my cat. I'm going to try to gey out to the yard next week to cut out a piece of pipe to weld in and delete the cat. Maybe that'll help. I dunno.
What I do know is this is really ticking me off.
Where's my throttle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM

the tube your looking for, if you are standing in front of your truck, take the cover off (over the fuel bowl) look at your HPOP left back (motor) side of the hpop there is a plug and a sensor. the other side of the sensor is the tube.

the trottle is electric. they dont have one your can clean out like on a gasser that im aware of (but im pretty new at this **** too)

oh and yeah if you have a leak on ur uppipes, turbo that will pull a LOT of power
Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 PM

7.3s are drive by wire or have a fully electronic throttle system. You may have to adjust or replace your TPS or IVS on your pedal assembly.

If you look on your firewall and see soot you know that your uppipes donuts are leaking. Best to switch out to bellowed uppipes then.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 PM

Cool. I found that ebp tube.... I had been looking on the rad side of the hpop... Look at the motor side and wow look there it is lol! So I'm going to dig into that maņana. Looks to be a fairly quick and straight forward proceedure. What size wrenches is that, 15 & 18mm? Next step is to get this effing cat off and see if that changes anything.... Well sure it will but unsure if it'll solve this issue. Ill check for soot on the firewall.
What's the IVS? And where do I find it and the TPS?
Heck, pretty soon ill have rebuilt this whole thing and have a new truck!.... Much to the wife's chagrin....

Ok I checked the firewall for soot and it appears to be free of that.... Thank god. I wasn't looking forward to paying for or changing those up pipes out.....

Last edited by creekfreak; 12-21-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Winning DUHHH

Ivs, idle validation switch.

That is with you accelerator under the dash

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekfreak View Post
Cool. I found that ebp tube.... I had been looking on the rad side of the hpop... Look at the motor side and wow look there it is lol! So I'm going to dig into that maņana. Looks to be a fairly quick and straight forward proceedure. What size wrenches is that, 15 & 18mm? Next step is to get this effing cat off and see if that changes anything.... Well sure it will but unsure if it'll solve this issue. Ill check for soot on the firewall.
What's the IVS? And where do I find it and the TPS?
Heck, pretty soon ill have rebuilt this whole thing and have a new truck!.... Much to the wife's chagrin....

Ok I checked the firewall for soot and it appears to be free of that.... Thank god. I wasn't looking forward to paying for or changing those up pipes out.....
On the EBP tube be sure to soak it with some sort of penetrating oil. If you think you've got it soaked good, soak it some more. Not sure what size it is, but its a pain to get. My tube kinked when i tried to pull it off, so i abandoned the EBP tube for now and have a sensor tied into the MAP line.

Now after going through all of that, a faulty EBP reading won't cause a real power loss. Have you checked fuel pressure yet while running down the road? What about scanning for codes? Could be the MAP sensor as well, as that will cause a MAJOR power loss.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Full A-Team Member

This will sound really stupid....

What exactly does the EBP tube and sensor do? I know for a fact mine has been plugged solid since the day I bought it and it runs fine?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Winning DUHHH

EBP pressures will cause the Ecu to defuel if the pressures are high.

The ECU uses that value of manifold pressure to adjust fuel trim, and when to tell the ebpv to open when the throttle is depressed

Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM

It's not throwing any codes that I know of.... No CEL anyway. Can codes be thrown with no CEL? And where is the MAP located? Is it testable by an ohm meter? If so what readings should I get across what pins?
I should say that she does drive and I'm even plowing in her. It just seems like there's a real loss of power, like she's not getting any boost and it seems to come and go.
Could I be adding too much diesel kleen on fill ups? I just sorta dump some in, without metering it out? Bad idea? Less is better?
I just put in a brand new fuel pump and fuel bowl/fpr from bob at diesel o rings, so I have a hard time believing fuel pressure is a problem. I was hoping it would remedy the situation replacing those and fixing the leaks but it didn't.
The turbo fan blades have a few Knicks in it, no play and spins fine. If hardly call it "dusted".
What about that butterfly valve on the back side? Could it be stuck closed? How do I check it w out removing the turbo?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-SC-Owner View Post
EBP pressures will cause the Ecu to defuel if the pressures are high.

The ECU uses that value of manifold pressure to adjust fuel trim, and when to tell the ebpv to open when the throttle is depressed

EBP isn't going to cause a massive powerloss though, i've driven my truck with many different EBP sensor issues and never noticed a power difference. Slight difference in shifting, but not in fueling.

To the OP, MAP sensor is located up on the cowl. There is a rubber line that runs from the passenger side intake plenum up to that sensor, this is where the PCM gets the boost reference from. If there is a leak in there somewhere, it will cause a massive power loss. AFAIK there is no way to really bench test a MAP sensor, but if you can get a scanner on it you can read the sensor and see what its doing.

EBPV closing can also cause a massive power loss, and you will be able to hear it. It makes a hissing noise, very distinctive. If its closing there are multiple ways around it, easiest one is to unplug the wires for it under the turbo.

And for the fuel pressure, i know you've got new stuff on the engine, but i'm wondering if the fuel lines or pickups couldn't be clogged up causing an issue.

And yes, it can throw "soft" codes without throwing a CEL. The 3 main ones i've seen on my truck are boost related codes, EBP related codes, KAM, and cam sensor codes, multitude of different codes in those 4 things. The turbo wheel sounds decent, thats not going to cause much of an issue with just a few little knicks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.