Questions About My TS Performance 6 Position Chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Questions About My TS Performance 6 Position Chip

Hey guys my name is Matt. I'm new to the community and picked up my first diesel truck Sunday. I have always been around them with my friends and stuff but never pulled the trigger on buying my own until now. It's a '97 F-250 Single Cab Longbed 5-speed with the 7.3. It runs and looks great but I'm having a bit of an issue with the TS-6 position chip the guy had installed on it. I was assuming it would be as follows from left to right:

1. High idle for warmup
2. Stock Tune
3. Performance Setting 1
4. Performance Setting 2
5. Performance Setting 3
6. Performance Setting 4

But...If I take it off of high idle, it's hard to drive. It acts like it's idled so low that it's going to die and smokes like crazy on any other setting besides high idle. Even the lowest setting just idling completely fills my carport with smoke. It has a fuel pressure gauge in the cab and as I turn the settings up the fuel pressure increases which sounds normal to me but the fact that it doesn't seem like there is a stock tune worries me. Are they supposed to act this way or do you think he slipped in all custom tunes and removed the stock tune? I'm all about turning it up and seeing what it's got but not until I choose to do so. He also mentioned that it has 200 shot injectors so that may be a contributing factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the smoke black, white or gray. Some whiteish smoke on cold startup is normal.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The smoke is light grey and it's not on startup it's any time it's off of the high idle setting. I just let it run on high idle on my lunch break to warm up. I switched it over to the first performance setting and drove it out the road. Then I brought it home and it still does it during idle on that same setting. Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...77F61E9E8F.mp4

Last edited by mtmc; 12-18-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Is there any way you can contact the previous owner to find out exactly what has been done to the truck performance wise?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if they are stage 1 or 2 you should just pull the chip and see if it still smokes, if they are hybrids your gonna have a lot of smoke anyway, but pull the chip and see if it smokes still, and if nothing send it off for a re burn
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok will there be any chance of messing up the computer by just unplugging the chip? Should I disconnect the battery? Does it just make it like a stock powerstroke again (well unless it has bigger injectors of course) And when I pull it, if it still smokes does that indicate bigger injectors? I contacted the guy twice and he is supposed to email me the reciepts for the work but he hasn't yet. Thanks for the help by the way.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 AM

You shouldn't be driving around on high idle. Just take the chip out and see what happens? Does it idle rough?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i never have disconnected the batteries but your could if you wanted to be sure, just pull the chip, only way your truck would smoke afterwards are if you have hybrids and are driving, it shouldnt smoke much at all if it is idling, but stage 1 or 2 sticks wont smoke at all since your truck wouldnt know it has bigger sticks if it aint tuned for it. good luck

with your white grey smoke issue could it be injector o rings?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I'll disconnect it when I get off work and see if it makes it stop pouring grey smoke at idle. If I do have bigger injectors, would the TSP chip know what to do with them with a factory reflash? I have an edge evolution that the guy threw in as well but it wasn't stacked or plugged in or anything. If that could save me $50 on having the TSP reburned then I'll go that route.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:03 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to OnTheBio
It states to disconnect the batteries in the installation directions of the TS chip when you purchase it. It also states that it could possibly burn up your PCM, so....

Yea, anytime your dealing in currents, I'd recommend disconnecting the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
box, chip, programmer, ts-6, tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.