Okay, Cat delete, but question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Okay, Cat delete, but question

I'm leaning more towards doing the cat delete along with the bellowed uppipe kit. I'm still a little baffled about the cat delete though. Why do you do cat deletes? Is it for horsepower? Does a diesel not need a cat and if so why do they come with one? Does it do any harm to the motor when you remove them? If you can clear this up for me Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It will not harm the engine deleting the cat. Catalytic convertors are known to choke the exhaust output especially if they start to clog. The freer flowing the exhaust the more potential to make better power. They came with one because the feds said to.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Check your local laws and inspection requirements. Several years ago California decided that all diesels older then 1998 were exempt from any emissions testing. As soon as that was signed into law all my crap was deleted. Yes, technically if a vehicle came with an emissions device then it needs to have it for life but here is the catch (at least here in Cali). In Cali you are not allowed to replace any factory Cat. with an aftermarket one under any circumstance. It must be a factory replacement. Flip-side is the factory only has to make a part for a vehicle for 10 years past the discontinue of the model line. So (here at least) since my truck is not eligible for emissions testing and the model is 16 years past discontinued from Ford all I have to do is claim the truck smashed it's Cat. on a rock and the Factory does not offer the cat anymore. Cops have not yet pulled me over for anything with the exhaust and I keep driving. 99-03 7.3L's didn't come with a Cat so what do they have for reference?

But, because I am a pessimist my Banks exhaust is designed to have the Cat. in it and I just use a Diamond Eye off-road test pipe. That way if for any reason I need the Cat. I just swap it back in.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM

Not all OBS came with Cats.Without them and a 4" exhaust,you can really hear the turbo whistle.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Looking at your profile Tim you also live in Arizona. When your truck was sold AZ did not have emissions testing. There is the possibility that your truck is a Cali truck though.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all the info guys. My truck is 17 years old but can't say where it was sold but it is registered in FL. which has no emission test for it. I was more concerned about harm to the motor not running one when one came on it. It is about $300.00 less by just putting on a cat delete and not replacing the cat. If blockage of the exhaust is bad for my motor I will most definatlly do the delete now.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been reading a lot about "chips" on here. I've no idea of what that is or anything about them but would like some imput on them and if they are worth the cost compared to the way I drive which is, never over 65, when towing never over 65, going up hills letting it slowdown on it's own and downshift on it's own, and just putt putt around town. Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Cool, I totally spaced that you where up from Florida and summer vacation in the North West. Unlike a gasser that depends of scavenging in the exhaust system for power diesels need as little back pressure as possible after the turbo to make power. Ideally the turbo should be the last restriction in the exhaust. Most states even consider the turbo as the muffler too.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlsalem View Post
I've been reading a lot about "chips" on here. I've no idea of what that is or anything about them but would like some imput on them and if they are worth the cost compared to the way I drive which is, never over 65, when towing never over 65, going up hills letting it slowdown on it's own and downshift on it's own, and just putt putt around town. Thanks
Can of worms bud. Any TS based chip will help any level of performance diesel you might have. My personal suggestion to you would be to call Power Hungry Performance, Beans Diesel, Tony Wildman (though calling Cary at CT Performance is faster), and. . .I know there are a couple more, help out guys. Talk to the companies and see which one you like the best. I started with Beans tunes and I am giving TW tunes a chance here in a couple weeks. What is nice with the TS type chips is that you have 6 options at the twist of the knob, all you have to do is let your foot off the go pedal, make the switch and romp again. Tunes can be had for anything from eco minded driving, daily driving, multiple levels of performance, multiple levels of towing power, and things like high idle. If you have an auto truck then these tunes will also effect where the tranny shifts for each tune. In Daily Driver the shifts are kinda firm and at normal shift points but in tow or heavy tow the engine is allowed to run out more before shifting.

Last edited by BigFuel; 12-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Another option is to just send your pcm to a tuner and have it reflashed with a tune on it. That will give you the option of better shifting (with auto trans) better performance , possibly better mileage, etc without needing to install a multi position switch and it is much cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.