PCM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PCM

Just wondering how much the PCM or ECM is for a 99 7.3 orielys dosent have the priced listed on there website and how bad are they to replace im gunna do this myself I am a mechanic but havent had to do it on a diesel yet supprislingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
its located under your dash iirc below the steering wheel, this is the obs section, but ours is located behind the e brake, has to be removed from under the hood. prices are not cheap unless you find a good used one, why are you replacing it btw?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well the truck has a hicup basically it acts like as if I truned the engine off real quick and truned it back I just get my SES light and wts light then it goes away in 10 seconds and I keep drivin like nothin happened I replaced the cps sensor thinkin that was my problem but it wasnt whats wierd is it comes and goes truck will be fine for one week and then act up once twice the next so I'm thinkin its my pcm but I could be wrong I work on diesels all the time but not once has this ever happened so I'm alittle lost.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
same exact thing happens to me when ever i use my cruise control, been happening ever since ford did the cruise control recall on it too, have you checked the codes its throwing at all?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStroke_Lover View Post
Well the truck has a hicup basically it acts like as if I truned the engine off real quick and truned it back I just get my SES light and wts light then it goes away in 10 seconds and I keep drivin like nothin happened I replaced the cps sensor thinkin that was my problem but it wasnt whats wierd is it comes and goes truck will be fine for one week and then act up once twice the next so I'm thinkin its my pcm but I could be wrong I work on diesels all the time but not once has this ever happened so I'm alittle lost.
Have you tried to read codes or connect to the PCM? If so, does your scanner connect?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've tried reading codes and I get nothin but the scanners aren't the best so there maybe codes that I can't read with the scanners I've used and I haved noticed that on the highway stayin at a steady 70mph it gets worse and is more frequent but below that less often and not as bad sadly my cruise control don't work lol.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

im not exactly sure what the issue is but i wouldnt throw a computer at it , ses light and wait to start light can mean it is losing power to pcm at times ,i would suggest unplugging the fuel heater and drive it and see if that makes any difference , whatever you try always try one thing at a time ,so you will know what made the difference , check all your fuse connections inside and outside fuse box and check over wiring real good to make sure of no chaffing
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
im not exactly sure what the issue is but i wouldnt throw a computer at it , ses light and wait to start light can mean it is losing power to pcm at times ,i would suggest unplugging the fuel heater and drive it and see if that makes any difference , whatever you try always try one thing at a time ,so you will know what made the difference , check all your fuse connections inside and outside fuse box and check over wiring real good to make sure of no chaffing
Well I've gone through all the wiring that was the first thing I did the area that has any concenerable wear is the transfer case wiring for my light but my exhaust just melted the plastic cover I put on it other wise wiring is old but intact havent gone through my fuses yet but why would my fuel heater cause the problem its like I said every powerstroke I have ever worked on never had this problem and would adding diesel additive have somethin to do with it cuz I bought a bottle of DP to run through it for this winter for anti fuel geling but its also boostes my creatine level and cleans the injectors im alittle over half way through a 150 gallon treatment.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStroke_Lover View Post
I've tried reading codes and I get nothin but the scanners aren't the best so there maybe codes that I can't read with the scanners I've used and I haved noticed that on the highway stayin at a steady 70mph it gets worse and is more frequent but below that less often and not as bad sadly my cruise control don't work lol.
Even the "best" mainstream scanners don't read our trucks. You need AutoEnginuity, an AeroForce Scangauge, or a Snap-On MT2500 or Modis.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

When you went through the wiring did you remove the harness from the PCM and look at both connectors? Eventually the weather seal will fail and water getting into the connector starts rusting the pins. Just a clean and go deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.