can someone explain why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can someone explain why?

Here's one of those questions that everyone probably has a different answer for. Mine is a 1995 F350, 7.3. When Ford produced these they put that squwished up downpipe on it because? I've been told one reason is because there wasn't enough room between engine and firewall for anything else. If that's the case, why is there room now for a 3" DP if modifyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Because you modify it... I wouldn't imagine Ford would want to chop up that seam from the factory like the rest of us have done in the course of installing a 3" DP.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM

Makes me think about my old 5.0 fox mustang. Ever look at the stock "headers" on one? Never understood why they would put those on either
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
...kind of looks homeless

Ford didn't design the engine, either. International designed it and Ford might have had to build the truck around it. I don't actually know, but that would make sense I guess.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
sound, vibration, asthetics, you name it, actually a lot more r&d went into the downpipe that is stock than any of the aftermarket ones that fit in there, but take a look at the factory intake, out of the box these vehicles are only aloud to emit so much noise/cab vibration/intake note/exhaust note. a lot of thought went into the part we all hate so much, and the intake is just so easy to make a better design, but that is your reason as to why it is made that way, many things dont make sense, but it is a federal mandate to follow and thats how it gets done
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Not that this is the case, but I always figured that Ford would not want to have a separate bunch of bodies to redesign and manufacture just for the PSDs. Making a downpipe that fits the existing design is much cheaper. Cheers!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
sound, vibration, asthetics, you name it, actually a lot more r&d went into the downpipe that is stock than any of the aftermarket ones that fit in there, but take a look at the factory intake, out of the box these vehicles are only aloud to emit so much noise/cab vibration/intake note/exhaust note. a lot of thought went into the part we all hate so much, and the intake is just so easy to make a better design, but that is your reason as to why it is made that way, many things dont make sense, but it is a federal mandate to follow and thats how it gets done
But the super dutys come with a non crushed pancake pipe so now the question is, why them but not us? Why do they get all the noise and vibration and we dont?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
BANNED by Kris

5 yrs of making something that nobody wanted then had to compete with a Dodge and Duramax that didn't have this issue. Also notice that on Patrick's, [EDIT] Kris's, and my '97 Cali trucks had things on it that where only on it for our one year. The parts on our trucks made them so undesirable in Fords eye they canceled the '98 model year. Loyalty is whimsical when the "other guys" can out perform you.

Simply, this is why a 1st Gen anything begets a 2nd Gen something.

Last edited by BigFuel; 12-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
super duty was built in 99+ the obs was built from 80-97 and the international t444e was built in these trucks from 94.5-97, why would you make a whole new truck kause you got a different motor? not very cost effective is it? look at the 2010 mustang new body same 4.6 from 05-09, 2011 got new motor but same exact car around it
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
...kind of looks homeless

Kris that's a good point. I never thought about noise emissions. My 99 4runner has an Intake Noise Reducer that basically bounces the intake air around a set of baffles just to make it quieter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.