Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

can someone explain why?

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  dhanna6powerstroke 
#1 ·
Here's one of those questions that everyone probably has a different answer for. Mine is a 1995 F350, 7.3. When Ford produced these they put that squwished up downpipe on it because? I've been told one reason is because there wasn't enough room between engine and firewall for anything else. If that's the case, why is there room now for a 3" DP if modifyed? :confused:

#4 ·
Ford didn't design the engine, either. International designed it and Ford might have had to build the truck around it. I don't actually know, but that would make sense I guess. :dunno:

#5 ·
sound, vibration, asthetics, you name it, actually a lot more r&d went into the downpipe that is stock than any of the aftermarket ones that fit in there, but take a look at the factory intake, out of the box these vehicles are only aloud to emit so much noise/cab vibration/intake note/exhaust note. a lot of thought went into the part we all hate so much, and the intake is just so easy to make a better design, but that is your reason as to why it is made that way, many things dont make sense, but it is a federal mandate to follow and thats how it gets done

#7 ·
But the super dutys come with a non crushed pancake pipe so now the question is, why them but not us? Why do they get all the noise and vibration and we dont? :icon_ford:

#6 ·
Not that this is the case, but I always figured that Ford would not want to have a separate bunch of bodies to redesign and manufacture just for the PSDs. Making a downpipe that fits the existing design is much cheaper. Cheers!

#8 · (Edited)
5 yrs of making something that nobody wanted then had to compete with a Dodge and Duramax that didn't have this issue. Also notice that on Patrick's, [EDIT] Kris's, and my '97 Cali trucks had things on it that where only on it for our one year. The parts on our trucks made them so undesirable in Fords eye they canceled the '98 model year. Loyalty is whimsical when the "other guys" can out perform you.

Simply, this is why a 1st Gen anything begets a 2nd Gen something.

#9 ·
super duty was built in 99+ the obs was built from 80-97 and the international t444e was built in these trucks from 94.5-97, why would you make a whole new truck kause you got a different motor? not very cost effective is it? look at the 2010 mustang new body same 4.6 from 05-09, 2011 got new motor but same exact car around it

#10 ·
Kris that's a good point. I never thought about noise emissions. My 99 4runner has an Intake Noise Reducer that basically bounces the intake air around a set of baffles just to make it quieter.

#11 ·
mine is a cali model too matt lol

#12 ·
Damn it

[EDIT] ...blah, blah, blah...and Kris's...blah, blah, blah...

#14 ·
for some reason i wanna say its been done lol, but i know our diesel went into f150's of our body style lol, at least bill's is

thanks matt, i just like to get included lol

#16 ·
^nope, nobody recognizes the ginger.

#19 ·
Hey! I'm not a ginger! My son is the nasty soulless one!

and you still only have one truck lol
I used to have three! This isn't fair!

:rofl:

#17 ·
and you still only have one truck lol

#21 ·
international designed it and quit the idi 7.3, ford had a truck already, that is how you keep it noise compliant and fit it in there just think of 10 lbs of sh!t in a 5lbs bag, sometimes ya gotta roll with it, but why make a whole new truck 6 years ahead of schedule just kause you got a different motor, how many of us have put a motor in a vehicle that it isnt supposed to be there factory?it makes perfect sense for the down pipe to be like that, that pancake piece of junk is what saves millions of dollars on the back side bud :thumb:
Hey! I'm not a ginger! My son is the nasty soulless one!

I used to have three! This isn't fair!

:rofl:
damn, dimed out your own kid lol, and i have 6 rite now lol, i need to get rid of some
Negative boy. Gingers don't just sprout out of the ground (shut up :gun:). Both you and your wife MUST be carriers (don't make me break out the Punnet Square) for the devil to be able to show himself in human form. You sir are a closet ginger. :taze:
:lmao: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#23 ·
6 trucks, 3 kids, mite have another, got one for everyone lol

#28 ·
there is your answer lol sig worthy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.