Anyone heard of MTS Diesel Transmissions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone heard of MTS Diesel Transmissions?

I've been looking for a upgraded tranny (I know, I know, BTS and JW are the way to go but also cost $4500+ plus shipping) and I came across MTS Diesel. Specifically looking at their stage 2. It comes with a billet triple disk convertor and extra elements in the drums. They say it has racing frictions and steels. For a tad less than $3000 it kinda seems like a good deal. Also comes with a 18 month warranty.

My TC is on the way out, it shudders pretty bad at low RPM's and locks and unlocks occasionally. The PO said he rebuilt the tranny about 50k ago but said he has ran it really hot a few times. He also said he put the stock TC back in because the tranny shop said it was still in working order (worst idea ever!)

I'm putting stage 2's in so I should be in the 400 hp range and they say this tranny is rated 100-250 hp over stock, so basically up to 465 hp. Any input on this? There website seems pretty legit so who knows. I would like a BTS or JW but I never plan on needed the HP capabilities they come with. I also looked at Racer X. Theirs is 3650 with their billet TC. What about them? I'm trying to make this as reliable a truck as possible. I'm tired of worrying about it on road trips with my family in it.

Thanks guys in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i havent heard anything about them but im interested now too
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah I just called them and he said that they do all the normal upgrades. Steel planetaries and the bearing on the intermediate shaft. plus extra cluthes in all drums. they use the kolene steels and alto red frictions. It is a billet convertor but only a single disk. They said that the clutch is 3 times the size of stock as well as the lock-up plate. That would be fine for me, I'm not going to be racing this thing, just want to tow really well and hot rod sometimes. If anything happens in the warranty period you have to take it or your truck to any ATRA (Automatic transmission rebuilders associtation) shop for diagnosis. If it's a soft part (solenoid or the like) they pay for everything. If it's a hard part that requires disassembly, you are responsible for labor for R&R but they said they send out a new tranny. That sounds really good to me. He also said that it good up to 500hp so I should be way good.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't like that warrenty on hard parts IMHO...

BTS and JW are priced like that because of their warrenty (and their quality)

We have a local guy here that a TC went out on his truck... He had a BTS tranny. Brian overnighted him a new one without issues and he had it the next day. It's expensive... yes. But, dam, haard to beat the quality!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've read so many posts over the last 10+ years from guys getting a so called built trans or from their local guy that says he can build a trans to take it....99.99999999999999% end up needing a new trans.

Save your $ till you can get a BTS or JW...The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten.

If you deside on a BTS we have the best droped shiped price.
PM me your zip if I can help.

Cary
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah i asked for a price the other day Cary but you never got back to me. I understand you're busy though. I do agree that bts and jw would be the best but the wife will want to kill me if i tell her the price. Especially since i put about 3000 miles a year on the truck. Ill shoot you a pm though
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Tell her,

"your life is more important to me then money..."

"plus, the next time it breaks down with a $3k tranny, youll wanna kill me anyways, so lets just get that phase over with right now"

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hahahahahaha.........wait.........hahahahahahaha! That was funny.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

The first one might earn you a slap....

The second one will for sure
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That's awesome. So has anyone had any dealings with racer x? Everything they say on their site seems pretty legit. And a thousand cheaper. Well "starting at" they say.

Sent from my DROID RAZR because I told it to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.