Need Quick Responses: Is this truck worth $10,000 & Why does it romp on start-up? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Quick Responses: Is this truck worth $10,000 & Why does it romp on start-up?

I currently have a 1999 7.3 Regular Cab 6-Speed that I want to sell for $10,000.
I have my truck listed on craigslist at the moment.

Someone contacted me and wants to trade their 1997 F350 Dually (2 wheel drive automatic trans) 7.3L Crew Cab truck for my 1999 Regular cab. The 1997 truck has the Tuscany package (Nicer interior basically). Truck is in great condition, body is in perfect shape and the interior is very nice. Truck has 260,000 miles on it.

When I met him to look at his truck, I started it up and noticed that the engine loped 2 or 3 times and then smoothed out after 10 seconds. Kind of like a romp. It almost sounded like a "lope idle" on the 6-pos chips. What is this?

Should I walk away? Is it worth the trade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 AM

If you get the chance again put the truck in neutral and start it, if it doesn't lope it's probably the transmission range sensor, my dads truck does the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 AM

Mine does it also but does it in neutral too idk what it is but ive owned mine for over a year and no problems maybe someone will chime in with a good answer and id say no on being worth 10k too many miles for an obs to be worth that in my opinion....mine is 4x4 with less miles and fresh paint and the centurion package and idk if its even worth ten
Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 AM

It would be worth $10,000 if it were a 4x4, esp. a manual.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 AM

So mine i could sell for 10k easy then wirh less miles awesome!!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95350PS View Post
Mine does it also but does it in neutral too idk what it is but ive owned mine for over a year and no problems maybe someone will chime in with a good answer and id say no on being worth 10k too many miles for an obs to be worth that in my opinion....mine is 4x4 with less miles and fresh paint and the centurion package and idk if its even worth ten
How many more miles do you think that 97 obs has left?
I drive 700 miles per week, so I need something reliable..

I really like the 94-97 body style...

Last edited by Pwnm30rdi3; 11-29-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Mine "lopes " too. Right after i put a new fuel filter and cleaned the fpr screen it quit. Now its back. In my opinion its the motor "gasping " for fuel till the pump can catch up. That's just my opinion. When i do my efuel we will see if it stays. If so ill admit I'm wrong.

I think it depends on how it was and will be Maintained. Looks like a good rig though. Why not keep yours?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i bought mine with 270k and drove it from california to georgia and back 3 days after i purchased it with no problems, i did an oil change and tranny flush first tho, but hell i like obs' and crew cabs i would make the trade, but ask for at least a lil cash on top tho, see what he is willing to give lol, but i am at 296k now with no problems

one thing about the lope idle my buddy did the 10k mod on his truck and it does that lope thing your talking about, sounds pretty sweet imho, but doesnt sound like anything to worry about

good luck
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
Mine "lopes " too. Right after i put a new fuel filter and cleaned the fpr screen it quit. Now its back. In my opinion its the motor "gasping " for fuel till the pump can catch up. That's just my opinion. When i do my efuel we will see if it stays. If so ill admit I'm wrong.

I think it depends on how it was and will be Maintained. Looks like a good rig though. Why not keep yours?
I live in the city, about 1.2miles from the interstate. I shift 33 times before I reach the interstate because of all the stop lights. My leg is tired and my knee is hurting. I want an automatic!

It is good to know that the lope is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
i bought mine with 270k and drove it from california to georgia and back 3 days after i purchased it with no problems, i did an oil change and tranny flush first tho, but hell i like obs' and crew cabs i would make the trade, but ask for at least a lil cash on top tho, see what he is willing to give lol, but i am at 296k now with no problems

one thing about the lope idle my buddy did the 10k mod on his truck and it does that lope thing your talking about, sounds pretty sweet imho, but doesnt sound like anything to worry about

good luck
I love the way these obs trucks look too. There is just something about them I have always loved. I used to own a 1986 6.9l F-250, motor was awful but the truck was pretty.

How do these older trucks start on a cold morning?
I don't have anywhere to plug the block heater into and it gets down to 0 degrees in the winter here.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
My old job had 2 Super Duty service trucks that did that on cold starts... usually with cold ambient temp's. Think it has something to do with the hi-pressure system. Nothing to worry about tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.