My truck wont start or will start but wont stay running - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck wont start or will start but wont stay running

Hi I am having problems with my truck. It either wont start or will start but wont stay running. I powerwashed my engine compartment so i could find out where my oil leak is coming from. my turbo, firewall, hood, and driverside of motor was cover in oil i have pictures of what i am talking about if you want to take a look http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3...-oil-leak.html After i got done washing it, i tried to dry off most of what i could get and then tried to start the truck, nothing happend just crank aand crank i kept trying to start it til the battery died, so i put the battery charger on and waited a little bit. then my brother came out an help me try to start it. while he tried to start it, i sprayed a little starting fluid in the intake to try to get it going. it had a hard time starting but started then died. so we tried it again and got it started and it running for a few seconds then died. tried it again and it wanted to start but didnt. so we hooked my brothers programmer up and ran the diagnostics test and it came back with three codes. i looked the codes up and the codes were:

1. P0478 EPR Exhst press control valve high input Excessive back pressure - run mode Plugged sensor line, stuck butterfly, restricted exhaust

2. P0344 CMP Camshaft pos sensor ckt intermittent Incorrect number of CMP transition counts Harness routing, charging ckt, sensor, int ckt, improper gap

3. P0470 EBP Exhst press sensor ckt malfnct (96 MY) No-start or crank mode Biased sensor, open signal return

Does anyone have any ideas on what might going on here and what i can do to fix the problem. thanks

3 inchdown pipe
3 inch straight to 5 inch daul silverline stacks
auto meter ultra-lite boost (0-30 psi) gauge
auto meter ultra-lite pyrometer gauge
auto meter ultra-lite trans gauge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 08:04 AM

just got my truck running, but now my check engine light is on
Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Truck just died on me. So we did another diagnostics test and it came back with 5 codes. 3 of them i have mentioned in the previous thread and now 2 more. the 2 new ones are:

1. P1212* ICP ICP volt not at expected level Crank or KOEO Biased sensor or ckt, open signal rtn, low oil in reservoir

2. P1282 IPR Excessive ICP pressure System fault Faulty IPR regulator (sticking), IPR shorted to ground

3 inchdown pipe
3 inch straight to 5 inch daul silverline stacks
auto meter ultra-lite boost (0-30 psi) gauge
auto meter ultra-lite pyrometer gauge
auto meter ultra-lite trans gauge
Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 AM

all I can say is pressure wahing the engine bay on these things is a bad thing to do. I would assume you blew those sensors out or they are shorted while there is water in them.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Get a drop light and put it about 3 inches from sensors for several hours. dry them out.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Info on your DTC's from Dieselmanns page:

Lack of acceleration when cold; Limited RPM; Hissing noise under hood; Possible DTC's P0470-P0478:Exhaust (back)Pressure Regulator valve/servo.
When the engine is cold--EOT less than 140 degrees--and the ambient temperature is less than 37 degrees, the PCM activates the EPR solenoid to divert oil pressure to the EPR sevro which closes the EPR valve at the turbo outlet. This causes exhaust backpressure to help the engine warm up more quickly. The PCM monitors the amount of backpressure through the Exhaust BackPressure sensor. On accel, the EPR is deactivated, but if the valve sticks, it will cause the above symptoms. You may or may not be able to duplicate the concern, since it normally only occurs on initial start-ups when the PCM activates the EPR for prove-out. If you are able to duplicate it, inspecting the position of the EPR linkage can confirm the problem (the servo linkage will be extended and the bellcrank tang will not be on its stop). To repair, replace the turbocharger pedistal.
A similar condition can occur if the EBP sensor tube plugs up with carbon, causing the PCM not to see an increase in exhaust back pressure resulting in the PCM not deactivating the EPR solenoid. Remove the tube and inspect for blockage. Clean as necessary.

No/hard start hot or after stalling, usually re-starts after cool-down; Jerky, irratic idle; Possible DTC#'s P1211, P1212, P1283:Usually caused by low injection oil pressure or regulator (IPR) valve. High pressure oil is used to pressurize and inject the fuel into the cylinders--each injector is essentially its own injection pump. The IPR is a by-pass valve that controls the high oil pressure depending on demand. The ICP monitors the oil pressure in the LH head.
Check for oil in the upper reservoir; it should be within one inch of the top; add oil as necessary. Verify that the correct oil is being used (see my PowerStroke Page for oil specs) and that it is not thinned out.
For no-start concerns check Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor readings with a scan tool or pressure gauge (500 min), or with DVOM at pins 87 to 91 (.83volt min) while cranking.
By using adapter fittings and plugs you can isolate and measure each cylinder bank to see if there is a high pressure oil leak in one head, or connect both HP oil pump hoses to the pressure gauge to measure pump pressure. NOTE: The 98.5 and later HP oil lines have special couplers requiring special tool 303-625 to disconnect, and tools 303-627 and 303-628 to connect to the coupler along with a pair of F4TZ-9N332-A elbow fittings to adapt to the HP oil gauge hose.
If isolated pump pressure is low, short break-out-box pin 83 to ground to run IPR valve to full duty-cycle. If the pressure comes up (3600 psi) replace the PCM; if it remains low, remove and inspect the IPR o-rings for damage; a kit is available if they are. If the IPR o-rings are undamaged, replace the IPR valve. If there is still low oil pressure, replace the HP oil pump.
If isolated HP oil pump pressure is 500 psi, or only one bank reads low, remove all the fuel injectors and replace their o-rings using the latest kits P/N F8TZ-9229-AA.
If the concern is a jerky, irratic idle when hot, unplug the ICP sensor (will set a code, causes the PCM to default to a pre-selected IPR duty cycle) to see if it the idle stabilizes. If it does, check the ICP voltage with a scan tool or breakout box at pins 87 to 91 with the sensor plugged in and the key on/engine off. It should be .20-.25 volts. If the base ICP voltage is within specs, replace the IPR; If not, replace the ICP and retest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.