K&N = enginge damage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
K&N = enginge damage?

I really have to get everyones input on this why on OBS truck do you all feel K&N filters and intakes are direct from satan lol. I have been in the performance parts business for 10+ years and have never had anyone prove to me on a 7.3L the K&N was the direct cause of their engine failure or damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a drop in style on my Superduty when I got it. First thing I noticed is that the filter box didn't close properly and it would let unfiltered air bypass the filter completely. I got rid of it real quick after that.

I am not sure what the deal is on the OBS trucks.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM

They simply allow too many particulates to pass through which will dust your turbo.

This is why you do not even run a K&N intake on a forced induction motor. In addition, if you are in a super dusty area with any rig they are not a great idea. Just fine for street cruisers in the city (on gassers).

The Donaldson filter which I run is designed for diesel motors. It has a better nominal filtration rate than K&N (currently looking for exact micron ratings will update when I find them).

Donaldson is 99.9% filtration, (at which micron I am still looking for.) K&N is 93%-98%. I don't know about you but that 2-7% is an awful lot of dirt getting in, that is at optimal conditions on that K&N too.

Last edited by glovemeister; 11-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I dont know on the stock air box I had one in for about month then went to a full K&N intake system. But I have had others say oh your gonna damage your turbo and engine I say show me proof, I have had it on for 5 + years no problems.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM

From what I have read it had done very poorly in comparison to other filters. It's filtration system is very poor and allows up to 1.0 grams per cubic meter to pass through. On forced induction engines much like our turbo diesels it allows thoes particles to pass through the filter and dust the turbo causing pitting and other damage. I have read enough and seen enough pictures of dust in the intake tube for me to choose another brand. I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBasso85 View Post
Yeah I dont know on the stock air box I had one in for about month then went to a full K&N intake system. But I have had others say oh your gonna damage your turbo and engine I say show me proof, I have had it on for 5 + years no problems.
And there is a chance you may never have problems. You could always keep the k&n intake system and just change filters on the end of it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Quote:
I really have to get everyones input on this why on OBS truck do you all feel K&N filters and intakes are direct from satan lol. I have been in the performance parts business for 10+ years and have never had anyone prove to me on a 7.3L the K&N was the direct cause of their engine failure or damage.
You haven't been selling them long enough. I worked at Toyota in the late '90's and early 2000's and there were very explicit letters to current (for the time) Toyota owners AND it was added to the owners manuals for all Toyota models that whenever we saw that there was a K&N (only K&N brand) filter on the vehicle that their warranty was immediately dissolved. K&N filter cause so many engines to fail that TOYOTA band them from EVER being used on them in the future. This is when K&N went back to the drawing board and redesigned the oil used on the medium and they where then allowed to be used again in 2002.

Not one month ago I was helping a friend out that wasted his Mass Air Flow with a K&N filter.

I, nor anyone I meet, will use one of those things.

Last edited by BigFuel; 11-16-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Dusting your motor is a slow death...
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
You haven't been selling them long enough. I worked at Toyota in the late '90's and early 2000's and there were very explicit letters to current (for the time) Toyota owners AND it was added to the owners manuals for all Toyota models that whenever we saw that there was a K&N (only K&N brand) filter on the vehicle that their warranty was immediately dissolved. K&N filter cause so many engines to fail that TOYOTA band them from EVER being used on them in the future. This is when K&N went back to the drawing board and redesigned the oil used on the medium and they where then allowed to be used again in 2002.

Not one month ago I was helping a friend out that wasted his Mass Air Flow with a K&N filter.

I, nor anyone I meet, will use one of those things.
I always warn people, but some of them don't listen.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I drive a LOT of dusty back country roads and when I can take out the OEM air filter, which is still flowing very good, and dump out close to a 1/4 cup of dirt should tell you how good the OEM filter really is. If that same amount of dirt was on one of these aftermarket air filters I probably would barely get my truck to idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.