Rehabbing my 1994.5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rehabbing my 1994.5

So, I have owned three 7.3L PSD trucks to date. I have since sold off my 96 5spd F250, and my 1997 F350 A/T Crew cab, and still have my 01' Excursion. Well, I recently picked up another one a few weeks ago. My 1996 was the best all-around tow rig I have owned. Mainly because of the 5spd. I loved towing with that truck. It was a work horse.

Unfortunately, I traded the 96' 5spd for the 97' crew cab since I wanted four doors. Then I sold the 97' to get the travel trailer. Well, I really missed the 5spd for towing. And, I hate my 01' Excursion for towing my 30ft travel trailer. I have exhausted attempts to get it to handle better when towing my TT. I've added a rear sway bar, active control suspension mod, new steering box, new TRE's, etc. It just doesn't handle well at all in crosswinds. The final straw for the Excursion was driving home from Custer, SD last month. I dealt with 50-60mph crosswinds most of the trip and white knuckled it home the whole way. In some sections I couldn't drive faster than about 40mph for fear of getting pushed off the damn road. While its fine towing the low boy trailer around, it SUCKS with the TT behind it.

So, I have been looking for an old crew cab dually. Well, I found a donor that needed a ton of work. The story I got was that it towed a 5th wheel up to Wyoming and back, but wouldn't start after it got back. It sat for a couple weeks, but still wouldn't start. The price was cheap, so I bought it. Its a 1994 7.3L, 2wd, 5spd, CC, DRW, long bed. Its only got 173K on it, but this truck has been neglected. However, at least the interior is in decent shape.
This truck is ugly. I have plans to make it nice though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM

I started by diagnosing the no start issue. It turned out to be a bad IPR (injection pressure regulator) and a bad ICP(Injection Control Pressure switch). Its also got oil leaks from the PS valve cover gasket, drips from front and rear main seals, and needs oil cooler o-rings badly. It also had a fuel bowl leak. The good news is that I tested for blow by and it has none. However, it needs a lot of work now that its running. After the first drive in it, it was apparent that the injector o-rings were trashed. So, I pulled the injectors yesterday. That also revealed a fried DS front uncover harness. So, that also led to the no start and cold start issues as there is no way that those glow plugs were working. When cold the truck idles extremely rough too, which leads me to believe that the two injectors on that side aren't even working. Anyway, the injectors themselves seem okay, but regardless, I am shipping them to Jim at Rosewood Diesel for a stage 1 overhaul/upgrade.

This is what 5 of the 8 injector o-rings looked like.

Jim will upgrade them from 90cc injectors to 160cc injectors. I'll be installing a Diamond Eye exhaust, new single mass clutch, new tuner, 6637 filter, and I already installed a brand new radiator into it. I also need to rebuild the clutch linkage, and diagnose a bad ABS sensor somewhere.

The other issue with this truck is that I will have to do a lot of electrical gremlin chasing. The wipers will stay on when you hit the windshield washer switch, and the running lights stay on when you turn the headlights off.

Oh, and I've already fixed a broken DS interior door handle and rewired in a complete DS window switch.

One bright spot is that the A/C actually works.

Once I get all of the fixes and gremlins worked out of this truck, its getting stripped & painted. Running boards are going away, as is the eye brow and the "roll-a-long" handles on the doors.

This truck is at least straight and has potential. And, even with everything I am doing to it, it will be a cheap, reliable, stable hauler when I'm done.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Its amazing how $147 in stainless steel wheel simulators can make a truck look 1000x better.

And, FWIW, this is what I plan on rehabbing the truck to look like.

Last edited by AddictedOffroad; 11-14-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 PM

BTW, does anyone else have this brush guard by chance?

I measured the lights to try to find replacement one, but the buckets measure out at 4"x6.5". So, I'm not sure a standard 4x6 will fit.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM

I might have that same brush guard. Are you looking for another? Mines just sitting in storage right now. I took it off when I added the plow and havnt put it back on.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekfreak View Post
I might have that same brush guard. Are you looking for another? Mines just sitting in storage right now. I took it off when I added the plow and havnt put it back on.
Mainly just looking for the replacement lights unless you are giving it away. lol.

Ive never really been a fan of brush guards, but I love extra light. the guard is growing on me though.

Last edited by AddictedOffroad; 11-14-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Looks like youre off to a good start. I love seeing someone fixing these old trucks up. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM

I spent yesterday gutting the interior to get the carpet out for a good cleaning. I was going to put it all back in today, but its still not dry even after having the fan on it all night.

I hope to have the injectors back next Friday assuming UPS runs next Friday. We'll see.

I also ordered a PHP Hydra Chip last night. Its supposed to ship on Nov 30th. I'm looking forward to being able to tweak my own tunes with their new chip. I currently run a DP Tuner in my 01' Excursion and love it, but I had some issues with a DP Tuner in my old 97' CC keeping EGTs down. I ran a PHP Phoenix chip in my 96' F250 and never had EGT issues at all. So, I am going back to PHP in this OBS truck.

I also have some new clear headlight lenses sitting on my desk, a complete lower engine seal kit, Glow Shift 3-in-1 gauge, and my HID headlight conversion kit should be here tomorrow or Monday via USPS.

Only things left to order at this point are my exhaust (likely Diamond Eye) and my Clutch. I'll be ordering a Valair or South Bend next week.

I also plan to rebuild or fab-up my own bellowed up-pipes on this truck as well. When I pull the tranny to do the clutch I want to tackle the rear main seal and the up-pipes while its out.

Last edited by AddictedOffroad; 11-16-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Definitely subscribing, can't wait to see the final outcome

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM

From my understanding the rear main hardly ever leaks on these trucks. What is more likely is you have something leaking in your valley and it is hitting the drain hole on the pass side of the block and coming down the back. If you valley is dry of course then this isn't a possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.