HELP!! 96 7.3 won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP!! 96 7.3 won't start

I changed all the hoses on the fuel filter housing to the fuel lift pump today , and had the filter housing completely off the truck. While in there i noticed the wiring coming off the housing (red and white wire) were melted together and frayed at the connector. I need to know what these wires are for?? It looks like they plug into the back of the hpop?? Also I went to start my truck and it just cranks over, the tach moves up to 1000 rpms or so , so I don't think its the cps. The #22 fuse isn't blown either. I can spray starting fluid into the intake and it attempts to start but still no go. PLEASE help this is my daily driver and i need it running!! I am new to diesels and don't know anything about them. Also the filter housing is about 3/4 way full .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

First do not use any combustable fluid with the GPR still working. The IPR (attached to the HPOP) is red on one side and yellow w/red stripe on the other side. If these wires aren't in order you won't build enough hydraulic pressure to fire an injector. Cut out the bad connector and wiring and hit a napa. They stock most connectors though the wire colors are usually wrong (not that it matters right now. SOLDER the new wires in.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 PM

Your wiring, though melted, sounds good enought to start the truck. Since all you've done is install new hoses to the fuel bowl you may just need to get all the air out. If possible have someone else crank the truck while you hold the Schroeder valve open at the back of the bowl. Get out all the air. Next crack the two lines from the front of the heads that connect to the brown and crank in spurts till only fuel comes from those lines. Now you have removed as much air from the fuel as possible. If the motor starts while purging shut it down till you close all the open lines. Check fuse 8 also.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks!

Thanks BigFuel for the advice i rewired the IPR factory connection and it started first try. Its nice to have people out there who are still willing to help.!!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Thank you for the kind words. There are a lot of us, I just got to you first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.