Another stupid GPR question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another stupid GPR question.

Ok so in my experience with electrical I have learned a few things. One is that a 12V 4-post solenoid is a 12V 4-post solenoid.

I bought my truck with almost a quarter million on it 5 years ago. I have seen some of you claim that the GPR is an annual replacement thing. This has been true for every single plow solenoid I have encountered over the years. The truck started ok back when it was being used regularly but that is not the case this year. I am planning on replacing the GPR soon but my regular parts store does not carry one for a 97 psd.

X parts store price $50-80
Y parts store price $40-60
Generic 12V 4 post solenoid $10

Anyone have any prior experience with being a cheap bastard such as myself or ideas on this? I figure that if the $10 part will work I oughtta be able to buy a few of them and keep both the trucks happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM

The best way to go would be the Stancor GPR

Here is a great write up on it- Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page
Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelliousw0n View Post
One is that a 12V 4-post solenoid is a 12V 4-post solenoid.
Not always true! You must make sure that any relay you use on these trucks ia a "case-isolated" type and not a "case-grounded" type. If you try and use a case-grounded type, the glowplugs will not shut off. Personnally, I like the Stancor (now White-Rodgers) 586-902 relay as a replacement, but many folks also like the Western Plow relay (I'd have to search for the part number) that is quite a bit cheaper than the Stancor. Cheers!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM

You get what you pay for. Duty cycles of relays (and they're _relays_) vary broadly. For example, even a four-post case-isolated version of our starter relay would be an epic fail, because it's rated to be closed for only a few seconds at a time. Our GPRs need to be rated to remain closed for at least two minutes at a stretch.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelliousw0n View Post
Ok so in my experience with electrical I have learned a few things. One is that a 12V 4-post solenoid is a 12V 4-post solenoid.

I bought my truck with almost a quarter million on it 5 years ago. I have seen some of you claim that the GPR is an annual replacement thing. This has been true for every single plow solenoid I have encountered over the years. The truck started ok back when it was being used regularly but that is not the case this year. I am planning on replacing the GPR soon but my regular parts store does not carry one for a 97 psd.

X parts store price $50-80
Y parts store price $40-60
Generic 12V 4 post solenoid $10

Anyone have any prior experience with being a cheap bastard such as myself or ideas on this? I figure that if the $10 part will work I oughtta be able to buy a few of them and keep both the trucks happy.
The Stancor is the cheapest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.