FINALLY found my truck. 96 F350 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FINALLY found my truck. 96 F350 7.3L

So after a long search I found what I wanted, a pretty clean OBS in the price range. It's a 96 F350 CC LB with 205,000 miles. The transmission was rebuilt about 3 or 4 years ago. I have the receipt for that but am not sure if it is the new HD rebuilt. I do not think it is. This is my first diesel, so I am trying to read on here and learn as much as possible. Please, any recommendations on what to check or look at immediately would be appreciated. Or a link to a good forum for me.

Previous owner said the oil is good for another 800 miles or so, I'm thinking i'll take his word. Would you guys recommend changing it, the fuel filter, EBP sensor? I have been very easy driving it to and from work, majority of it is 50 to 55 MPH and getting about 11 - 13 mpg. Was hoping for better but you have to start somewhere... all that aside, i'm thrilled to own it. This weekend will be driving about 260 miles roundtrip so that should be a good test run. heres some pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Great lookin' rig! My first diesel was my OBS. My ideal truck when I was looking was a CCLB 4x4, but I could not for the life of me find one. Bought mine with 193k, now 3 years later I'm sitting at 224k and aside from the idler pulley bearing nuking itself along with the alternator bearing, she has been trouble free. And she really scoots with the mods I have

One recommendation. Ditch whatever air filter that is on there and throw a 6637 on it. Much better protection and air flow than Specter, K&N, etc...

And personally, if it was my truck, the first thing I would do is change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter. With the HEUI injection system these trucks use, you want your fuel and oil to be as clean as possible.

Last edited by nine6stroker; 11-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine6stroker View Post
Great lookin' rig! My first diesel was my OBS. My ideal truck when I was looking was a CCLB 4x4, but I could not for the life of me find one. Bought mine with 193k, now 3 years later I'm sitting at 224k and aside from the idler pulley bearing nuking itself along with the alternator bearing, she has been trouble free. And she really scoots with the mods I have

One recommendation. Ditch whatever air filter that is on there and throw a 6637 on it. Much better protection and air flow than Specter, K&N, etc...

And personally, if it was my truck, the first thing I would do is change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter. With the HEUI injection system these trucks use, you want your fuel and oil to be as clean as possible.
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that mine is a 4x4. The first thing I was told by multiple people is to take that K&N air filter off. Which is funny because in any other vehicle the K&N is usually an upgrade.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

For a lot of (gas) vehicles they are, but they can't support the airflow the turbo demands once they get spooled up. They are also known for "dusting", aka letting too much dirt through.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM
BANNED by Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine6stroker View Post

x2 on all of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0317sprinter View Post
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that mine is a 4x4. The first thing I was told by multiple people is to take that K&N air filter off. Which is funny because in any other vehicle the K&N is usually an upgrade.
On any other car your engine only demands 200-400cfm of air. Our diesels at full tilt demand 750cfm of air. That is out of spec. for a K&N.

I think my biggest issue with the truck that I see in the pictures is how dusty the motor is. Pull off the orange boot and look at the turbo impeller. It should be CLEAN (maybe a little oil from the CCV)! A rebuilt turbo is big money.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would change the oil fuel filter and clean the fpr and run some diesel clean or similar through the system. what does it have for a down pipe and exhaust on it?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics diesel View Post
i would change the oil fuel filter and clean the fpr and run some diesel clean or similar through the system. what does it have for a down pipe and exhaust on it?
Like I said earlier, first diesel and very uneducated thus far.... I had to look up "fpr" to know it was Fuel Pressure Regulator.... the truck has what I think is a 4 inch pipe, but it flares out to five at the end. Not sure on anything else than that. These replies are making me want to get out and look at things, like how clean the turbo is, but it's pouring raining here. I find one thing funny, a lot of people "say" they are great with diesels, but the more I read the more I realize i don't know a thing and I start to think they don't either. I found a local shop that has gotten great reviews and they would charge 125 dollars for a complete inspection to include literally everything. Debating on how useful that might be.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM
BANNED by Kris

^where are you? I'm in Pasadena but work in Pomona.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 PM

I live and work on Camp Pendleton, so my house is in San Clemente, Ca. (southern orange county).
Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Do you live off the 210? I bought the truck in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.