Opinions on OBS purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on OBS purchase

First off, I have posted this in 3 Powerstroke / ford forums, so if you have read before I apologize. I am just trying to gather opinions.

1996 ford f-250 xlt powerstroke turbo diesel
4x4 w/ auto e40d trans (trans never worked on according to owner)
Has Dana 60 rear w/ posi
Dana 60 king pin front axle out of a 1990 f-350. Owner swap after freshened up from junkyard (fron driver wheel catastrophically failed and this repair was quicker for him)
Edge tuner and 5" turbo back into 5" dual stacks flat cut ( matte black) has hinged rain caps
Trailer brake controller and tow package as well as goose neck ball in bed. Has 4" lift and 35" BFG mud terrains. The front axle does have manual locking hubs as well. PW, PDL, keyless entry, rear slider, CD player, air lumbar support, all weather flooring, foot steps.
recently admitted that he replaced mil-spec dual core glow plugs and diesel performance relay, PCM, TCM ICP and some other stuff I cannot remember.
Leather high quality seat covers on rear seat both front seats and folding consol. Can barely tell they are covers...
365,000 miles on engine. 4 owners, this owner has had it 70,000 miles. Previous owner owned machine shop and supposedly "shaved .016" off heads.

So that is all the info, I have always had 99-02 powerstrokes and know their problems well. This truck seems solid and the owner straight up. Do you guys see anything that throws a red flag in your book? He is asking 11K. I need a crew cab and I can get this one without getting a loan. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the price is way high, unless they have paperwork to prove maintenance with engine and trans. At 260k miles my trucks main and rod bearings were shot, I'm guessing however that trucks engine has been rebuilt at least once.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Just my opinion, I consider these things minuses:

-Shaving the block (N/A engines need more compression, F/I engines need less compression)
-Edge Tuner (E4OD death on a chip)
-Rear sliding window (it will leak, just wait)
-by recently replacing the PCM, ICP, IDM, GP, and GPR the truck has had a No Start issue recently. I hope it's fixed or your new to you truck will have you chasing your tail.

Even if the body of the truck is immaculate this is still a 8k truck. I will admit that I have never been east of the utah so I have no idea of your weather. Check under the truck at the rear of the cab for rust. OBS truck like to rust here.

Again sorry if I'm the downer in this thread but it's only an opinion.

Last edited by BigFuel; 11-02-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is this an ECSB, ECLB or CCSB? If it's either short-bed, it might be worth close to that, but still not $11K. Esp. with the long list of owners. +1 on the tuner; too risky wrt. the tranny and the PCM. Chip is the way to go.

He can't have replaced the TCM. The PCM controls the tranny (hint: what does the P stand for?...).

What did he replace the glow plugs WITH? Are they Motorcraft? What brand of GP relay?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would run away just based on the price, it's not worth half of what he is asking. Plus the D60 in the rear is a downgrade from the 10.25. Just keep looking and you will find a good deal. I picked up my 95 for $2k with 109k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.