New Powerstroke owner. Couple Questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Powerstroke owner. Couple Questions.

Hey everyone. 10 years ago I bought my first powerstroke. 97 F250 2wd 5 speed. Was a great truck. Sold it and since then had an 89 350 idi and an 89 250with a 460. All great trucks but i did my research and found the ultimate truck for e would be the 97 7.3 with a 5 speed and 4x4.

Yesterday I picked up my new ride. White 97 350 XLT 4 door 4x4 7.3 5 speed. 7 inches of lift. Warn hubs. Weld wheels with 40 inch Rockers. 7 inch stacks. 190k miles. Rides nice. Sweet truck.

2 quick things i thought maybe you all could give me some advice on.

- Passenger door sags a good amount. Hinges look old/factory. I understand i could replace the hinges or install the repair kits which are pins and bushings. What do you all rec?

- Previous owner said there is a mild hp tune on the truck which was put on by him using a superchip handheld tuner unit. I would like to set the truck back to stock settings if that would be ok with the straight exhaust. I wouldnt want to lean it out. Im not one to want speed in a truck. If i want to go fast ill ride the Yamaha R1. He gave me the handheld programmer with the truck. Do you all think it would be ok to set to stock settings?

Ill do a search but any help would be greatly apprecaited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
...kind of looks homeless

I don't know about the door hinges, but stock 7.3s have no problem with straight piped exhaust. That will actually do a lot of good. Has the downpipe from the turbo been replaced or is the stock sandwich pipe still there?

The straight exhaust will lower your exhaust gas temperatures significantly. You'll be glad it's already done.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Thanks. And im not sure about the rest of the exhaust. Ill check tom. All I know is it has a 5 inch y pipe coming up through the bed which goes into big 7 inch bullhauler/aussie stacks. Im in VA and we have been going through that hurricane sandy crap. Lower egts are good. So ill plan on hooking up the tuner and setting it back to stock. Hope its easy to do.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
...kind of looks homeless

That sounds like a good setup. I'll be surprised if the stock downpipe is still there. Let us know if we can help with anything else!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM

I plugged in the superchips programmer today and the first question on the screen was do i want to erase tune and go back to stock. Thats what i did and there was a significant driveability improvement. Running like a stock 7.3 now which is what i wanted. Under the hood everything is stock. As for the exhaust its a 3 or 3.5 straight downpipe. Then a 4 inch staight pipe into a 5 inch y pipe that comes up through the bed into the 7 inch stacks.

The only other thing i want to look into repairing is the passenger side door hinges which seem to be why the door is sagging. Im not sure if the best way to repair is remove the hinges or just remove and replace the pins. I would rather repair the hinges instead of getting aftermarket crap and have to get them painted as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 on 40s View Post
Hey everyone. 10 years ago I bought my first powerstroke. 97 F250 2wd 5 speed. Was a great truck. Sold it and since then had an 89 350 idi and an 89 250with a 460. All great trucks but i did my research and found the ultimate truck for e would be the 97 7.3 with a 5 speed and 4x4.

Yesterday I picked up my new ride. White 97 350 XLT 4 door 4x4 7.3 5 speed. 7 inches of lift. Warn hubs. Weld wheels with 40 inch Rockers. 7 inch stacks. 190k miles. Rides nice. Sweet truck.

2 quick things i thought maybe you all could give me some advice on.

- Passenger door sags a good amount. Hinges look old/factory. I understand i could replace the hinges or install the repair kits which are pins and bushings. What do you all rec?

- Previous owner said there is a mild hp tune on the truck which was put on by him using a superchip handheld tuner unit. I would like to set the truck back to stock settings if that would be ok with the straight exhaust. I wouldnt want to lean it out. Im not one to want speed in a truck. If i want to go fast ill ride the Yamaha R1. He gave me the handheld programmer with the truck. Do you all think it would be ok to set to stock settings?

Ill do a search but any help would be greatly apprecaited
Pins and brass bushings, unless the hinges are sprung or wallered out from the pins sagging. Pins and bushings are cheap though.

These trucks are great with tunes, just seek a reputable tuner that makes a tune for your mods. Ie Tony Wildman, PHP tunes, Matt @ Gearhead etc. You won't run a diesel lean like that.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
there is several cheap mods on these truck for better "drivability" if your interested. anyways post some pics of the truck id like to see it.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM

Unless the lift is a body lift, that downpipe must be a 3". A 3.5" won't fit without a body lift. Still a pretty free-breathing exhaust. But to really take advantage of breathing out better, it has to breathe in better as well. Get a 6637 intake and it'll really complement the exhaust. Esp. with the PCM back to stock, and if you don't lead-foot the go-pedal, you can expect a mileage improvement.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ps. 6637 is a filter part number from napa. just just take off the stock airbox and get a hose clamp and clamp this new filter right onto the end of the old filter box tubing. it costs like 17 dollars?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 PM

It does seem to be a 3 inch downpipe. And i will def look into getting the pin and bushing kits for the door. Does anyone know if they sell a drop in k&n?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.