new to the 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to the 7.3

im new to diesel and been asking friends about the 7.3 and getting different things. but i rather hear it from you guys what do you think of this truck im looking at lifted 1997 powerstroke

i know to do the oil pan engine needs to come out but its not leaking that that bad. and door handles 4x4 link i can do. but what do yall overall think? thanks chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Doesn't look like to bad of a deal. A couple of things, these engines use a sealant for the oil pan gasket and they seldom leak from there, the leak usually comes from the rear main seal, rusted out pan, oil cooler o-rings, turbo pedestal o-rings and runs down the back of the block, or the dipstick tube where it enters the pan. If it is the oil pan sealant/gasket the engine needs to come out of the truck to fix. The intercooler, D66, trans, etc where all expensive upgrade's so that is good. I would inspect the impeller on the air inlet side of the turbo because of that really crappy K&N air filter that is on there.

Last edited by 1Dieselman; 10-22-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i agree with jack not a bad deal though i wouldn't call a lift good (personal opinion) it adds unneeded stress. also the upgrades need to be done well without shortcuts or they can be headaches. but the motors are dependable, and easy to work on and this is a great site with lots of knowledge. take it for a ride and report back. make sure you get to start it cold.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Looks like a pretty respectable deal. Make sure to see receipts on any work/upgrades.
Not sure that is a K&N filter. Looks more like an AFE filter that someone tried cramming in behind the battery box, instead of buying the intake kit. Either way, in the crumpled condition it's in I would agree turbo dusting is a possibility.
Cold start is crucial. Before you start the truck up put your hand on either the exhaust side of the turbo housing, collector, or up-pipe. If it is warm, then the guy had the truck running before you showed up and is trying to pull a quick one. The components will heat up much quicker than the engine itself.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm going to check all those places before doing the oil pan. Might be something else leaking and he thinks its oil pan. How do I check the turbo? Yeah I like the lift but I really like the truck cause its the cleanest one I've found. And for sure want to start it cold and keep her idling to make sure nothing else is wrong with it. No air leaks anything like that. Anything else you guys think I should check other than stated and the obvious? Thanks for the help and replies guys!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 PM

Read this, What to look for when buying a used 94-98 PSD
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks jack i read it last night going to check everything on wednesday when i go look at it. those 4:11 gears should be good for towing then correct?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM

The 4.10 gears will help but won't be the greatest if it has larger than 315/35" diameter tire's
Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i was thinking of putting 22x14 fuel hostage rims and some nice off road tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.