Is this rim damaged? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this rim damaged?

The spindle nuts on my axle shaft can loose. Causing my truck to DEATH WOBBLE! I was able to move tire back and forth up and down with little effort.

I'm replacing the bearings and tightened up spindle nuts. Everything right now now moving.

But the moving looks to have worn a groove in my studs! I took pictures. Wheel is still tight ad no play but 1. Do these studs need replaced even though wheel is right? 2. Does this rim look damaged? Never assessed this problem before so not sure. The holes are round and not ovaled out or rounded out. What do u think? Anyone have this problem before?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Attached Thumbnails
Is this rim damaged?-imageuploadedbyautoguide1350921886.924567.jpg   Is this rim damaged?-imageuploadedbyautoguide1350921916.525359.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would look into replacing studs and the wheel(s) for sure.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Bigger pictures? Can't really see anything on the ones you have posted now. Try uploading them to photobucket and posting a link.
With that said, if you have damage to the wheel studs I would replace them at the very least. Any groove in the shaft of the stud is going to act as a stress riser. Add 126-170 lb-ft of torque (Ford spec of lug nuts) axially, a static radial load of ~125lbs (7000lb truck divided by 4 wheels, divided by 8 lugs per wheel) and you're running the risk of sheering the stud. Might be able to get away with it, but I wouldn't risk it over something as cheap as a wheel stud.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i agree with backwoods (what's your name anyway?) pics are small i would replace he studs. can't really see the rim
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Replace em both, damage to stud from rim walking causes rim damage too. New wheel, new studs- id do all 8 studs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM

Terry, my name's Ryan.
x2 on replacing all eight studs, as well as brake rotors and wheel bearings if the old one's are questionable. Might as well get everything done at one time if you are pulling the hub(s) off.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM

replace the studs, save the rims by having inserts put in them, a local rim shop should be able to do it for you and its cheaper than replacing the rims.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all your help Guys! Here's what's going on:

1. Took everyone's advice. New studs on order, wheel insert place calling me today with part number for my application.

2. The wobbling effect wasn't helped by the spindle nut inside the hub coming loose and the hub wasn't tight against the spindle. Checked the bearings and repacked with grease the seem fine. Spins good and tight. Not driving until new studs on.

3. Now I ran into a new problem while checking the pass. Side. I'm installing dana 60 manual locking hubs so pulled everything out to re-pack bearings and check u-joints etc... And my axle shaft that comes out through the spindle has some shimmy to it. With the spindle on in able to wiggle it in all directions a little bit. Ordering spindle bearing today. Hopefully just the one on the end of the axle shaft.

Am I missing something. Sorry no pics or vids. Right now, this happened late last night.

As you can guess this is my first time ever doing anything like this. Learning as I go. ( from you guys on here so thanks in advance) can't afford to have Someone do this...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.