96 PSD acting up- a little help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 PSD acting up- a little help please

I'm trying to help someone get there truck back up and running. The guy called me and said it would start, run for about 30 seconds, then sputter and die. I took a look at it and hooked it up to AE, everything checked out fine but the ICP was all over the place, so I swapped the IPR with my spare and she lit off and ran like a champ. It needed a glow plug relay and I had to get going, so I parked it and told him I'd come back later and swap the relay out. When I did we tried to fire the truck up, and it wouldn't start. It would barely run at all, then sputter and die like it was starved for fuel. It would only restart if I shut the key off; if I just cranked it over again it would only crank- no fire. I fiddled with it and finally got it running again, he drove the truck into town and back (about a 10 mile trip) and when he got home he had it idling in the driveway and it sputtered and died again. Fuel filter is new, fuel pressure is good, no codes, new CPS, everything else checks out. The oil was about a quart low, not low enough from my experience to cause it to shut off and even so, that's normally a quick shut off like you turn the key off; not a sputter out and die situation.
I'm at a loss but I promised to get this rig back on the road. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you replace the cps with a OEM or aftermarket? I read about a lot of problems with them. My autozone unit lasted a month. JUNK!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM

I didn't replace it, it was replaced prior to me touching the truck. The symptoms are not classical CPS symptoms, it seems to be fuel or oil related.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

try checking fuel and oil pressures right off the rail and shrader valve to see real time what you have.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 PM

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his '95. Turns out his IDM was on it's way out. I'm not sure why a trouble code wasn't stored, or why swapping IPR's allowed the engine to run normally for a while (I believe it was a day or two in his case), but I saw it with my own eyes so I'll believe it.
Not sure if you've checked the 42-pin connection to the PCM, but I've heard of chaffed wires/bent pins causing similar issues.
Noticed you're over on NWFD as well. If the truck is close enough to B'ham and you're looking for an extra set of hands give me a shout.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
try checking fuel and oil pressures right off the rail and shrader valve to see real time what you have.
Fuel psi was 50ish, I can't recall what the HPO pressure was but it was fine. I didn't have my laptop the second day to check it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsboy View Post
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his '95. Turns out his IDM was on it's way out. I'm not sure why a trouble code wasn't stored, or why swapping IPR's allowed the engine to run normally for a while (I believe it was a day or two in his case), but I saw it with my own eyes so I'll believe it.
Not sure if you've checked the 42-pin connection to the PCM, but I've heard of chaffed wires/bent pins causing similar issues.
Noticed you're over on NWFD as well. If the truck is close enough to B'ham and you're looking for an extra set of hands give me a shout.
IDM is what I was leaning toward as well. I would doubt it would be a PCM issue, this isn't a modded truck.
Yeah I'm on NWFD as well, but I'm on the dry side of the state over near Spokane.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Got it figured out... frickin burned UVCH of all things.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Glad you got it resolved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.