Just bought my first diesel... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought my first diesel...

Hey guys,

So been a gearhead long as i can remember and have been hard core into the go fast came for the last 5 years or so.

Been towing my go fast car with a 94 chevy 1500 4x4 and its not enjoyable at all... gets maybe 8 mpg and takes forever to get going.

SO yesterday i finally stepped my game up and got a 94 F-250 DI turbo diesel.

Its got 330,000 miles but dang it looks like its only got 80,000 on it.

heres some pics

ewww.... not a fan of the factory wheels

gonna have to redo the headliner for sure.

only damage on the whole truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SO....

i am deff going to fab up a nice big ol' intake and redo the whole exhaust but after that idk what else i should do.

trying to read up like crazy on this stuff but its like a whole new world

-IDM mod?
-turbo hot side replacement?
-injector orings?
-upping the boost?
-upping fuel pump?

Anyone know anything specific i should check.... notorious problems or common failures?

Any MUST DO mods would be awesome.

Plans for the truck : hauling the race cars and trailers...
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome!

You are on the right track, Intake needs to go, the factory one is horrible and doesn't filter properly, and at 330,000 miles on stock air intake I would be surprised to see what your compressor wheel in your turbo looks like. After 210,000 on the stock one mine was pretty beat up.

You can do a DIY air filter that a lot of people do, you buy a napa filter #6637 and clamp that onto the end, very good filter...have nothing but good to day about it.

Second is going to be your exhaust, specifically your down pipe, the factory down pipe(short piece going from turbo to under the truck) is flat, and very restrictive, you will have to bend the firewall in a bit to fit a 3" downpipe in there, but its not as bad as it sounds. After that I recommend a straight pipe, all of these exhaust company offer mufflers to go with there systems, but they litterly do nothing, dont make the truck any quieter and just add restriction and backpressure for no reason I can see. Now that you can put more air through your engine, and let more exhaust out you need to do exactly that.

Next you will want to look into gauges, specifically one, Exhaust temperature. You probably know what it is, but just incase.....its exactly what it says, the temperature of your exhaust lol, you put a probe in right at your manifold and its the CLOSEST way you can tell the temperatures of your pistons and valves. You will need this because when you start to add fuel to the fire, temps go up, they go up to much and bad things happen, they go up and you let off the throttle everything is fine.

There are TONS of other gauges that you will eventually get(this stuff gets addicting) boost, tranny temp, boost, fuel pressure ect. all very important to know when far above stock power levels.

Now that you can see how hot your engine is, you need a tuner, it plugs into the Computer and just tells the computer to give it more fuel, allow more boost ect, also if you have an AUTO it will control shift times i think. I reccomend a 6 position adjustable tuner...because you can have 6 different power levels at the turn of a switch.

There are tons of options you will need to look into.

After that if you want to go further then you can do exactly that, get into injectors, HPOP's, electric fuel systems and much much more...hell if you want to you can drop 16,000$ into a mechanical injectors p-pump kit and make upwards of 2,000 ft lbs of torque....some you have to figure out what you want to do and go for it.

you will love the truck!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 AM

-turbo hot side replacement? Not sure about replacing the exhaust side of the turbo, you can change the intake side with different size housing to change the way the turbo build pressure.

-injector orings? This is a mataince thing, it is a very good thing to do and cost 30-40$ and an afternoon, when a oring fails it will cause a problem with mixure of fuel in your coolent.

-upping the boost? Upping the boost makes more power by burning more fuel, and it does it very well, stock I think they will make about 12-15psi, thats what i have seen. With a tuner(I mentioned above, I was able to hit 23-25# of pressure, and with injectors people are hitting 35+#'s

-upping fuel pump? The fuel pump is mechanical and a lot of people switch to electric for a performance upgrade, it in itself doesn't yield any power gains, but the factory system only support so much fuel flow, and its a complicated mess in my opinion. You are able to do a DIY swap for 300-400$ AND its worth every penny. but you should be fine till over 300WHP( stock 180WHP)

For towing and hauling most people agree that stage 1 injectors with supporting mods is perfect, you end up with more power then the current 2012 ford diesels make and still maintain the ridiculously reliable engine part.

but the truck are also very good with only a few mods, so you have to choose.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sweet. thanks for the input.

yeah i guess i hsould have mentioned that im a full time mechanic and fabricator by trade and hobby so im more then capable of doing any mods to the truck i just haven't had a diesel ever and i know they like different things then gas motors do.

Deff doing the intake and exhaust probably this week then start looking into fuel upgrades.

Yeah got a pyrometer and boost gauge on the way for starters, dont need trans gauge cause its a manual.

First thing though since i just bought it and it had been sitting im going to do a oil change and fuel filter change and all that good stuff
Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM

doing the 6637 filter and 3 inch down pipe are a god place to start. it will let the engine breath in and out alot better. sounds like you already have the 2 gauges you need ordered. as far as the turbo goes you can get a 1.0 exhaust side housing from beans diesel it will bring the boost up 2-300 rpms lower but if your planning on bigger injectors i would save your money for a d66 turbo. the only upgrade for the fuel system is to go e-fuel and get rid of the mechanical fuel pump. lastly when you change the fuel filter take the fpr off of the drivers side 2 10 mm bolts and with the filter out push the fpr screen out and clean it they are known to get full of gunk and cause lack of power issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.