Vacuum Pumps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vacuum Pumps

What do these trucks just love destorying these? I replaced it three times on my fourth i went to ford this time got a new one. No reman crap. Hopefully it lasts. It only tal\kes me 15 min to change and pull the pully off lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM

dont know if it would be the truck or the cheap remans that are the problem
Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Definately stick with OEM, there is no point in buying remans. We just had one changed(before I knew how to do it) last year and I am pretty sure it is already going bad, now we have a Motorcraft on the shelf for when it does go. They are more money, but it is worth it.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM

I read somewhere that these vacuum pumps are supposed to be filled with lubricant and there is an allen plug to do so. I didn't read this until after I changed and returned mine of course...and I ain't pulling it off just to look. I will next time though!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Don't know about a plug, but they are filled with oil. I just had to change a bad one and was curious about how they worked, so it got torn apart.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine is starting to squeal...what all doe it run besides locks and blower settings? is it straightforward to replace?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Your power brakes. Pretty straight forward but you will need to loosen the A/C pump and move it to the side (don't open the A/C system just take the whole pump and move it over) so that you can reach all the bolts. Most places that sell the pump don't include the pulley. Getting the old one off is easy enough but getting it on the new one takes a special tool. pressing it on the new pump without the tool puts a side load on the new pump and can ruin it before you've even installed it.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

You do not need to take anything off except the vacuum pump. Get a 10mm ratchet wrench and box end wrench or a flex head ratchet wrench. You have to loosen all of the bolts equally since you can not just pull them out because the pulley is in the way. Once all the bolts are out, pull it out until you can get to the clamp that holds the hose on the back and take the hose off, keep the clamp because you will need it again. Then you need a pulley puller, not one with jaws, but one that clamps on the hub of the pulley. Pull the pulley and use the same puller, but use it to install it, you can rent one of these pullers from O'reillys, I bought it from them, it was like $30. To install it I put the pump in the fridge or freezer and then heat the pulley in the center, not directly though, I set it on a piece of steel and get it pretty warm and install it that way. Make sure you put all of the bolts in first, otherwise you will just have to pull the pulley again. The idea behind the heating and cooling is that the heat expands the pulley and the cold shrinks the shaft, that is just what I read, works for me, not saying it is true.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 AM

I just used a 10mm wratchet wrench use a cheap auto zone puller also pressurer. Had it in a vice took me 2min to get the old pully off. New one same way just tighting the nut til it stops. If anyone in ct needs help with one let me know takes me 20 min tops to have it completly done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.