1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford f350 7.3 Diesel wont turn over

I have a Ford F350 7.3 diesel that wont start. I started it yesterday, drove to work, went to go to lunch and when i turned the key it barely turned over weeohhh woo woon then wouldnt turn over any more. i thought the battery was dead but i put it on the charger and it wont even turn over at all, just clicks. the clicking sound comes from the center back of the engine. I just replaced the orings for the overflow valve and i hope i didnt dislodge something while doing that.

Please help me unstrand my truck, i really need it this weekend! UGH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Is your battery posts clean and tight?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

MB HPOP, PHP Hydra, AFE stage 2, 4" turbo back exhaust, gutted cat, ford reman trans, JW valve body, 6.0 trans cooler, EGT trans temp boost gauges, Hutch and Harpoon mod, riffraf FRx, Pro Comp leveling kit, 1" zone shackels, 08 rear diff cover, 315 Toyo AT2,
post #3 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They look to be clean and tight.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM

Battery/batteries or starter.
Always start with the basics and go from there.

'03 F350 7.3l auto crew cab dually, 'n stuff.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There are 2 solenoids. One on the fender, and one on the starter

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seats. PM me !!!!!!!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Or the battery cables could be bad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually had the same kind of problem the other day. 2001 F250 CCSB, i went to start it in the morning and it started to crank and then went completely dead. I though the batteries had been going bad in the truck and have been meaning to change them. After it went dead the dome lights started flashing and a ticking sound was coming from the drivers left knee area. Got that to stop, popped the hood and checked cables, went back and tried to crank it and it fired right up... Did it later in the day once, and i wiggled the neg. cable on one battery and it fired. Haven't had a problem since. I need to change the batterys and make sure the connections are tight. I read somewhere online someone having similar problems, everyone said battery. The clicking was coming from a relay, and the only problem after this event is the radio doesnt work.... thoughts? am i on the right track...
Fudgie likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red '01 View Post
I actually had the same kind of problem the other day. 2001 F250 CCSB, i went to start it in the morning and it started to crank and then went completely dead. I though the batteries had been going bad in the truck and have been meaning to change them. After it went dead the dome lights started flashing and a ticking sound was coming from the drivers left knee area. Got that to stop, popped the hood and checked cables, went back and tried to crank it and it fired right up... Did it later in the day once, and i wiggled the neg. cable on one battery and it fired. Haven't had a problem since. I need to change the batterys and make sure the connections are tight. I read somewhere online someone having similar problems, everyone said battery. The clicking was coming from a relay, and the only problem after this event is the radio doesnt work.... thoughts? am i on the right track...
YOU hav e loose cables or a bad connections. Batteries are fine

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seats. PM me !!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
I have a Ford F350 7.3 diesel that wont start. I started it yesterday, drove to work, went to go to lunch and when i turned the key it barely turned over weeohhh woo woon then wouldnt turn over any more. i thought the battery was dead but i put it on the charger and it wont even turn over at all, just clicks. the clicking sound comes from the center back of the engine. I just replaced the orings for the overflow valve and i hope i didnt dislodge something while doing that.

Please help me unstrand my truck, i really need it this weekend! UGH.
A charger will NOT start your truck if the battery is that dead. These trucks require too much power to turn over that a typical charger, or even a regular car hooked up to it, will take quite some time of not touching it to give it enough juice to start.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

YES you win the comment of the day Diesel_Brad. This WAS the issue, i removed the cables and cleaned them and the posts with the wire battery cleaner thing(dont know the proper name for it), hooked them back up and didnt even need the charger to start it. YAYYY i got going!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
f350 7.3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode